Flame angelfish and coral ?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by OverStocked, Aug 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. OverStocked

OverStocked Coral Banded Shrimp

what's the chance ill get a lemon ?

2. Click Here!

3. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

you never know. mine didn't touch anything at first. then after about six months he started nipping at corals pretty badly. now for the last month i have rarely seen him nip. i'm not sure why he has gone through these different phases. it might be that i started putting a handful of macro algae in the tank each week. i think that he finds this more appealing and leaves the coral alone.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

a thread on RC did a big poll on all angels, and I read it while deciding on a Cherub. Flame angels polled 80% safe where 17 out of 84 nipper, or destroyed corals. The thread is pretty complete and the guy who started it put all the stats in an excel spreadsheet. Thats where i gave you the numbers from.

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

From what I understand about dwarf angels, they go through a change in diet over their lifetime. They start out eating a diet largely consisting of algae, and eventually move to also eating corals.

6. OverStocked

Should i get a small one then ?

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Well, if what I understand to be true is actually true, smaller ones will give you more time before they start nipping. The coral eating is a question of when, not if.

8. Click Here!

9. montecarloz38

montecarloz38 Fire Shrimp

Get a flame hawk fish if you want a red fish

10. hender

hender Fire Shrimp

had two over my time. Never touched a coral. Going to go one again in the future. But there is always a chance. Chances are he'll like the expensive stuff too!

11. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

I've had both. I had the Coral Beauty for almost 6 years and the Flame Angel for a little more than 7 years. Neither ever bothered anything, but I never had any SPS corals in the tank with them, so I can't say anything about their tendencies to nip at SPS.

12. OverStocked

Wait. so are they ok with hard corals but not soft corals cause i really don't care about my sps.