Flame Angel with White Spot

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by fishy62, Mar 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishy62

fishy62 Plankton

Two days ago I bought a Flame Angel Fish and when i got home I noticed a white spot on its tail. Can anyone tell me what this is and a fix for it.

Also, his tail looks funny

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Lymphocytosis.

Welcome to 3reef.

Lymphocytosis; a self limiting viral infection, unattractive for sure, common and may get worse before it gets better, but usually does not compromise the fish.

1 person likes this.
  4. fishy62

fishy62 Plankton

How do i cure it? do i need to put him in a QT? should i be worried my water is good.

Amminoia - 0
    Nitrites - 0
    Nitrates - 5
    pH - 8.3

5. Corailline

You can not cure it, it's viral.

It will run it's course and go away.

Please google Lymphytosis.

:)

6. fishy62

fishy62 Plankton

How long will it take so i can keep an eye on it? Will this harm my tank or am i ok?

7. Corailline

It will not harm the tank, it is contagious. I would not do an intervention other than to feed quality foods with additives such as selcon and foods designed for angel fish that include marine sponges and marine algae.

Give it a month to subside.

8. Click Here!

9. fishy62

fishy62 Plankton

Will run to the store today to get some selcon and specifc angel food.

10. Corailline

Cool. :)

Very nice angel by the way.

Tangs and angels seem to show this disease more than others IME.

:)

11. fishy62

fishy62 Plankton

Since i have a few fish in my tank now and i want to upgrade and get some more. When do you think i can do so since my flame angel has this problem?

12. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

+1 Corailline. Lymphoma was the entire reason I started a reef tank. Uncle in FL passed away at a young age a few years ago. Didn't smoke, worked outdoors, ate right. I guess it's just how life is sometimes
    --

Back on topic, I think my six-line has lumphocytosis. The other day I noticed a very visible white spec on his nose, looked like sand. He kept puffing up to the reflection on the glass and started twitching all spastically. He is doing better today (it's been 3 days) and the white spot is starting to turn back into his normal skin tone(purples/pinks)

Not sure what caused him to pick up this infection since my tank has been and is Ich free since day 1. Also my temp is at 78.6º constantly. I feed twice a day, AM with flakes, PM with either pellets, brine, krill, or bloodworms.

I usually feed krill as a snack, but everyone in my tank goes crazy for it and it's probably their favorite food.

I was wondering however if it was due to my increase in feeding. I went from feeding fish food 3x week to 1 or 2x daily in small amounts mainly because I've added two more fish and they are always hungry it seems!

Original stock list was only occy clown and shrimp goby, now current stock list is the same except with the addition of my Flametail Blenny and my Six-line wrasse. Such a great group of fish, they share food, they swim together, no aggression, beautiful colors