flake food linked to phosphates & algae

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by flynhawaiianz28, Dec 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

Hey guys.....I had a quick question...as far as feeding my saltwater fish I try to feed them a variety of foods and one food I used is the Tetramarine flake food. Now I've had on going brown algae problems and could it be that this could be from the phosphates in the flake food. I feed them flakes about everyday but not in huge proportions to where I am over feeding. Anyone got any suggestions if this could be a possible cause to the brown algae. I know about many other solutions to the brown algae but I'm still having troubles and now it is leading me to believe that the flakes could be the cause???? Also, anyone got a good all around variety of foods to feed tangs, firefish, clownfish, and gobies?

2. Click Here!

3. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

Try cutting back to every other day and skimming wetter, that should help wirh thew algae. I like to put a strip of nori in the tank every other day for my tangs, and my other fish have gotten great at grabbing their scraps. A couple times a week mine get mysis, brine, and cyclops when I'm feeding my lps.

~Will.

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I would cut flake food down to about 1x per week.

if you need to feed more often, vary the diet with something else.

that's my tip anyway :)

5. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Flake food is loaded with phosphate.

Switch food if it's giving you problems.
    I still use flakes for when my girlfriend feeds or if I'm feeling lazy.

Are you using GFO?

It's best to feed fresh foods. Frozens also contain PO4. I use mostly frozen for convenience ... but it's best to drain the liquid off of the food before putting it in the aquarium.
    I put seaweed every other day for the tangs.. and feed other food the opposite days.

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I don't know about a blanket statement like; "flake food is loaded with phosphate". There are so many types and some even say they are phosphate free. Once or twice a week is fine. I would look into a light source for Brown Diatom Algae. A window near by. In my den I have my Biocube ans the South window (where the sun is on its' axis this time of year) comes in at an angle where I have to keep the blinds 3/4 down and the slats angled.

7. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

also check ur water source it could be the cause of the brown algae

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Well it's true. It's about 1% Phosphate by weight.
    Phosphate Sources in Reef Tanks

Organic phosphorus compounds, as well as orthophosphate, are so prevalent that any natural food will contain significant concentrations of phosphorus. Flake fish food is typically about 1% phosphorus (3% phosphate equivalent) by weight. Consequently, if 5 grams of flake food is added to a 100 gallon tank, there is the potential for the inorganic orthophosphate level to be raised by 0.4 ppm in that SINGLE FEEDING. That fact can be a significant issue for reef keepers: what to do with all of that phosphorus?
    http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2002/chem.htm

10. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...
    food could definately be the culprit! it stinks but you gotta buy the good stuff and even then it's not bulletproof, i get a little brown every time i feed frozen brine not enough to stop using it but overtime if you are switching foods alot you really learn wich ones have what effects on your tank

11. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Some brands are better than others regarding phosphate. The Aqueon flakes I feed 2x a day on my autofeeder have given me no such algal issues in the year+ I have been feeding it.

I forget the brand that a local reefer had algal issues with as far as flake food, but he switched to aqueon brand and has not had an issue. All he feeds his tank is the flake food, nothing else ever.

I also feed my tank 1x a day with frozen food.

12. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

As far as food goes I like using the flake almost as a base so I may change to the aqueon flakes & see what results I get (anyone else have a good/bad experience w/ aqueon flakes?) I also use some seaweed for my tangs once a day but sometimes every other day but I like to use some sort of frozen for all my fish which gets switched between brine and mysis shrimp? Any other suggestions for frozen? I will defitinely have to cut back on the flakes I have now b/c I'm figuring it is a problem that keeps cycling through after I have taken quite a few precautions just short of a phosban reactor and the flakes make since in this case. I keep putting the flakes in on a daily basis which keeps adding to the constant problem. I wanna try to cyclops foods and see what happens as well....I'm open to any more suggestions anyone else has as far as feeding goes =)