Fixtures < $100

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Anthos312, Jun 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

if there are some cheaper metal halides that i can hang above the tank that would work fantastic, then i wouldnt have to worry about any tank size dimension when i upgrade :)

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I disagree I have one of those too ;)
    it's ok

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

check ebay. you may find either a used one that is pretty good, or a new one with a cheap magnetic ballast(you will want to upgrade the ballast when you have the money).

5. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

You know I have those and I have a 48" TEK fixture which I paid 325 dollars for. While the TEK is nice I for what I paid for it I am not that thrilled with it, the cheaper lights keep my corals just as happy.

I honesty think its the bulbs that make the differance.

6. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

bulbs and SLR reflectors make the difference, then also decent ballasts on T5s.

7. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

so for metal halide its not the hood or pendant that gets hot, its the ballast which plugs into the wall correct?

8. Click Here!

9. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I understand that but I go by how happy my corals are, how much growth there is and like I said as far as I am concerned my lights do just fine in both departments. And if I can get that kind of performance for 1/4 price them thats the way I am going to go.

10. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

magnetic ballasts = hot, heavy, and use more power. cheap
    electronic ballasts = light,cool, and use less power. more $$$

the bulbs will get hot and the light coming off the bulb has heat. if the bulbs are close to your tank = increase in water temps. if your doing a hood then you'll need at least fans. if you get a pendant and raise it high enough over tank then you dont need to worry about the high water temps. but your room will get a little hotter, but thats whats AC is for. that $99 mh retrofit kit with a mag ballast and free bulb is the cheapest you'll find. you'd just have to make a homemade box/pendant to house the reflector and bulb in. ballast can be on the floor, and a chain and hook it up to your ceiling. good to go.

11. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

do you have to do the wiring with a retrofit kit cause i dont exactly trust my self with electronic stuff haha. Also, does the pendant have to be out of metal? would the bulb get too hot for wood?

12. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

I believe its pre-wired. if not its as easy as connecting white wire to a white wire, black to black, etc.. using wire nuts. the reflector will take most of the heat.. wouldnt worry about the wood.. mh bulb heat temp maybe 90-100 degrees.+/- if your wanting to grow any type of corals/aneomes then you need the light for them. if not that t5 will take care of most stuff w/o having to build or wire anything.