Fish won't accept pellets

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Tropo, May 31, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tropo

Tropo Astrea Snail

Hi Everyone,

I just recently purchased NLS Thera A pellets for my fish. They don't seem too happy with the pellets and spit out the pellets once they go to eat them. I soak the pellets in Selcon and Garlic Xtreme, they still don't seem to like the pellets. Any suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

What were you feeding them before? Some fish will take a little while to adjust to a different food source. It took a few days before my fish accepted NLS pellets, they would spit them out as well. I believe it's the texture as my other pellets are softer. Give it some time and keep offering small amounts with your other food you feed them.

4. Tropo

Tropo Astrea Snail

I was feeding them frozen foods before. I've heard of not feeding for two days and then feeding them the pellets. I haven't gone down this route yet. I'll try to slowly work them in to the pellets.

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I believe in feeding fish every day but thats just my opinion. Don't soak them until they get a taste for them. I'm sure the pellet texture is different from the frozen, they'll adjust given the time.

7. Tropo

Tropo Astrea Snail

Two Ocellaris Clownfish and a Purple Firefish

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Size matters when it comes to pellets.Most Occy's will not accept large pellets.I have found the smallest Spectrum pellets to be ideal but even my barnacle blenny has to chew them for quite a while.Some fish as DSC has stated take a while to adjust.

10. Tropo

Tropo Astrea Snail

Interesting, I figured the 1mm pellets would be fine, but maybe they are too large for the Occy's. I will buy the .5mm pellets and hope for better results. Thanks for your advice.

11. Vinnyboombatz

NP let us know if they like em better.:)