fish TB

Discussion in 'Fish Disease' started by Pisces23, Aug 22, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

hi there, all you freshies...i've been keeping various freshwater tanks for over 6 years now...they (i have random freshwater tanks all over the house and my classroom) have been sadly ignored (but not neglected) since i started my reef a few months ago...
    anway, i've been doing some research on a recurring fish illness that i've observed in all of my tanks at one point or another and in the tanks of friends as well...random fish suddenly start to waste away, fins get ragged, bodies curve, i euthanize...looks like it might be fish TB...has anyone else heard of this before or have more info on it?
    okay, enough freshwater stuff...back to staring at my live rock!
    ;)

2. Click Here!

3. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

Fish TB is both FW and Marine. I doubt that you actually had it . There are other diseases that look similar to it. And you can pick up fish TB if they had it, but is very, very rare.

Look for;

MYCOBACTERIUM MARINUM

4. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

I am wondering....... If it were a parasite or bacterial infection......if a saltwater dip would work at the first signs of symptoms. I use a freshwater dip on my saltwater fish when this happens and it works well... The key is to match temperature, and especially ph with ph up or down. Then I dip the fish for 3 minutes and then return to their tank. I guess the theory is that the fish can handle the freshwater but the parasites and the bacteria cannot. I'm not sure if this is sound, because I learned this from a friend a long time ago, but it seems to work for me.

GLTA

5. Boomer

Boomer Feather Duster

I am wondering....... If it were a parasite or bacterial infection......if a saltwater dip would work at the first signs of symptoms.

TB Nope, it is an internal disease

External diseases sometimes, ick it is almost a waste of time 99 % of the time

6. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon