Fish recommendations for 90 gallon

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Phocidae, Feb 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Phocidae

Phocidae Astrea Snail

I'm almost ready to start putting fish in my tank. So far it has cycled and has the start of a clean up crew in it.
    I really want to have a plan about who is ultimately going to end up in there before I start buying any fish.

I'd love to get opinions about what would be a good and compatible mix for a 90 gallon. It's not a reef yet, but I'd like it to be eventually, so I want to get only reef safe fish from the beginning.

I really love wrasses, so that's a must. Is it okay to have multiple wrasses, of either the same, or of different species? If so, what would you guys recommend to go together?

I also love gobies and blennies and would love to have some in my tank as well. Who would you guys suggest?

Triggerfish have always captivated me, but it's my understanding they're not reef-safe?

Any other suggestions I should look into? Thanks everyone!

2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Wrasses are fun to mix, just be careful, some of the wrasses dont like other species, or the same species where some its acceptable lol for both.

My suggestion is, Find your main fish... The Show fish per say, then work you way around that fish or group of fish.

Nothing more exciting then having your favorite fish and another fish kill it lol

3 people like this.
  4. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

I do not think i would really suggest more than one or two wrasses. This is because some are not compatible with others. Also some wrasses eat pods and if you want to have multiple wrasses just make sure you have enough in your tank to keep the wrasses happy! I would also suggest a kole tang for your tank. I have one and he looks great and has a great personality too! Also you should take a look at the sailfin tang. That one is cool too! Triggerfish are not reef safe, but sometimes people get away with the niger triggerfish (Odonus niger) in reef tanks if you relly want a triggerfish. In addition, for gobies the randall's shrimp goby and the yellow shrimp goby are two very cool fish! Hope i could help! Good luck! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. rocketmandb

rocketmandb Ocellaris Clown

Comments:

- I love wrasses, just make sure you get reef safe varieties and have a good anti-jumping device (e.g. some form of cover)

- Blennies and Gobies, some of my favs. I just mentioned both the Midas Blenny and Bi-Color Blenny in another thread. Love them both, though the Bi-Color always gets the nod for me (of course I have both being boarded right now for my new tank! :))

- Triggers: Contrary to popular belief there are some "reef safe" triggers. I put that in quotes because while those certain species will not harm corals, they will munch on inverts and smaller fish. So if you want triggers, don't plan on having shrimp, crab, etc. in the tank. The triggers I'd recommend would be of the Melichthys or Xanthichthys genus, which include Pink Tail Triggers, Blue Throat, Sargassum and Cross Hatch. The only ones I've successfully kept were a mated pair of Blue Throat (Ike and Tina - guess why they got those names...). Note they are major league jumpers (Tina jumped after a bout with Ike). I've heard people talk about keeping Niger Triggers in a reef. In my very early days I tried and was not successful. I think they are sort of like pygmy angels, some work out and others don't. I wouldn't risk it because they are very difficult to get out of the tank once in.

- A tang is a good choice for a 90 (though more than one may be pushing it). Purples are one of my favs as are Red Sea Sailfins.

- Royal Grammas are another fav.

- Flame Hawks are awesome but may eat shrimp. Not an issue if you plan on having a trigger.

1 person likes this.
  6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  7. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

IF you're up to a challenge once the tank gets established, I'd suggest a trio of leopard wrasses. my personal favorite is the blue star

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

2 people like this.
  10. Phocidae

Phocidae Astrea Snail

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the advice and the links!

Although I love triggers, I don't think I'll run the risk of getting one.

I will definitely check out and consider the other fish mentioned.

11. Phocidae

Phocidae Astrea Snail

Thanks for point his tank out. I'm sure I'll come up with a few wrasse questions for him!

1 person likes this.