Fish out of water. HELP!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by TinFury, Oct 12, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

Ok... I'm in FL and I'm heading back to Jamaica on Monday. I want to carry back some stuff with me but won't be able to carry the saltwater on the plane. So heres what I'm thinking.

I want to get a couple things.
    Green Star polyps, a couple musrooms, maybe a tradacna clam, a couple cleaner shrimp. Now heres my problem, I can't carry the saltwater on the plane.

I've dry shipped stuff before with great success but I'm not sure about the clam or the shrimp. How long can they stay out of the water? Anyone know? I've kept other clams out of the water for over 24 hours and they are ok. I've also seen people ship lobsters and shrimp in sea weed that was moist let me know if anyone has any experience with this. I need to know ASAP I fly soon. :)

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If what you're proposing is putting these animals in your checked luggage, here's a few things to consider.
    1. Neither clams nor shrimp will survive out of the water (you can't compare cold water species, like lobster and "eating" shrimp to tropical species).
    2. You're assuming that airport personnel won't go through your bags and toss them out (you need an export license to take live animals out of the country).
    3. The cargo hold of an airplane is not very well heated.

I wouldn't chance it and just ship them overnight to your house. You might get away with dry shipping the mushroom and the green star polyps but not much else.