Fish options for a 120

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Kevin_E, Aug 17, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I had 2, before one perished from an ich infested fish. They never touched flakes, only Mysis.

That was my thought

I think I am leaning towards anthias

2. Click Here!

3. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

For the larger tanks like your 120 and up. I would go with anthias, fairy wrasses and small shoal of chromis.

I have seen this in the wild around SPS colonies, and it looks absolutely stunning.

Corailline likes this.
  4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

That's exactly why I want to go with the multiple smaller fish instead of a handful of larger fish, it just looks more natural. I am still going to keep my yellow tang and probably a kole tang, but besides those, I want smaller active fish. How many fairy wrasses could would you recommend in my setup if also adding anthias and chromis? Do you foresee the chromis killing each other off?

5. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

evolved can answer the wrasse question. I've never seen chromis do that if they are the same size and introduced as a shoal at the same time.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

my tank is half the size of yours and I have had 3 chromis dwindle down to one. I might suggest that you get at least 5

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

If I took away the second part of that question and only had the two tangs to contend with, I'd say 6-8, provided you choose wisely. So the latter part of the question will cut into that allotment, of course.