Fish Food

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by RogerL, Apr 19, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

The hatcheries take in wild Salmon. Allow them to spawn in a man made river (conditions are perfect) then the fri are released into a natural stream. They then continue their life cycle as wild fish.
    It is the Salmon Farms that have been discovered to have high levels of PCBs in their systems. This is mainly because they are kept in netted pens in small inlets. Just as we would advise people form collecting Water and sand from close to shore. These fish spend their entire lives a few meters from shore.

J

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Crap looks like I derailed another thread! ::)
    I need a smilie that slaps himself! ;D

Great info though Jakets... thanks.

4. Jason McKenzie

;) I think I helped. ::)
    It was an old thread anyway and will get people looking back through it a see Wrassmans great mush recipe.
    [smiley=party-smiley-004.gif]

But, and I digress again, It really makes me mad when so many introversions by man have screwed up the natural balance yet we continue to do it.

5. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Its in our nature We cant leave well enough alone.

6. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Ok gang here is the challenge, Go to any lfs in your area and look at the ingredients on a spirulina flake food (For algae for the vegetarians in the tank) See how many contain fishmeal in the first 3 ingredients and where the spirulina comes in. If my memery serves correct ( I am old and slow nowadays) Omega is the only one that lists spirulina first. My point is how many vegitarians do you know that want to start thier meals with a big hamburger or steak? If you are not making your own at least start reading labels and be sure you are feeding what you intend to feed. The employees at the lfs may not even know.

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

That is awesome advice Phil, we are all what we eat, eh?

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Most health food stores will have Spirulina in a powder form. It is used as a supplement to help with the immune system. Add that to any home made fish food and you got wonder food.

You make a great point Phil. One that everyone should be aware of. If your trying to feed a Vegitarian a steak there not going to eat it.

10. k9BOLX

k9BOLX Spaghetti Worm

I have been looking up food recipies now for quite a while, trying to figure out what to do. A combination of melevsreef.com and others had got me onto this. Input appreciated.
    HIKARI FR.BLOODWORM 4OZ
    HIKARI FR.PLANKTON 4OZ
    HIKARI FR.DAPHNIA CUBE 3.5OZ
    BIO-PURE MYSIS SHRIMP 4 OZ FLAT
    HIKARI FR.KRILL 4OZ
    Organic Spirulina 1/2 teaspoon
    formula 1 teaspoon
    formula 2 teaspoon
    1 bag mixed seafood
    cylops-eeze chunk ? (not sure how much to add, relative to the seafood)
    of course 2 sheets of nori

I have yellow tang, small naso, two sebae clowns, 2 cleaner shrimp, peper shrimp, torch coral, hammer coral, frogspawn, bubble, heliofungia, star polyps, numerous zos and palys, small acro, small green pavona, seablade gorgonian, small gold millepora, 3 small caps

I wanted something i could feed say twice a week, and supplement the fish with some nori and flake everyday. im not too sure how much of this mixture to put in, i was thinking that i may use the old cubes form the frozen foods and use of cube twice a week? i would be grateful for your input.

11. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

i use the same principal except i grind up a couple salad leaves 2, all my fish love it. my diamond goby comes out of his hole and swims around the tank gobbeling everything he can, then goes back to shifting my sand and creating havoc (love the fat little dude)