fish food, what should i buy?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by BluePhish, Jul 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Hunger is a great motivator :) Try not feeding meats for a week and see if your goby changes its mind about what it will and will not eat. If the flakes are too large, crumble them up into smaller pieces. Meat flakes are usually a reddish/orange color and spirulina flakes are green. Have a look here:

Saltwater Aquarium Fish Flake Foods: O.S.I. Marine Flake Food

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

My fish get a variety of food....

frozen, couple of different kinds of flake (Ocean Nutrition Formula I and Formula Two)

Freeze dried shrimp

Nori

Some kind of pellets (which I don't recall off hand)

I mix all the dry stuff with some nori chopped fine and keep in a airtight jar...then spoon out how much I want to give them (after soaking in a cup) - sometime with a dash of garlic oil.

Also try to alternate between dry and frozen...like frozen in AM and dry in PM....

Is way I do it anyway...

Next time I need to buy some, am going to try Ocean Nutrition Community Formula --- might be a better mix then combination of formula I and II.

Overfeeding is always a fear, but they promply clean up amount I give them...Also, I would rather overfeed then underfeed. Shrimp/crabs need to eat also...If any excess, skimmer gets it.

4. fishpoop

fishpoop Feather Duster

i dont mix mine. i just soak it in garlic from time to time. they go crazy for it

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

rods food every other day.

6. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

You can get any fish to eat just about anything, I got a hawk fish to graze on hair algae. Just gotta train them.

Amcarrig hit it on the head they'll eat what they can when they are hungry. Feed them 1/2 of what they are used to and at the same time add the flake food. After a time they'll be eating both, then you back off the frozen util all they are eating are the flakes.

7. fishpoop

fishpoop Feather Duster

true enough. i shall try that considering im not too fond of the frozen polluting the water so much....its a pain really *sigh* haha!
    yah i shall give it a go

8. Click Here!

9. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

thanks guys/gals for all the advice.

im thinking that the fish food may not be my tanks only fault,
    (from what you all say you feed your tanks)i think that my skimmer just cant keep up(undersized for my tank and load)
    but befor i go buy a new skimmer, wont the addtion of my new fuge and macro take alot of the load off the skimmer over time?

i do think changing the food will go along way, so im gonna try that befor i spend more money on a new skimmer.

ill post a pick so you can see the algae im talking about

10. fishpoop

fishpoop Feather Duster

do you have a uv sterilizeR?

11. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

I currently don't have any livestock (starting my tanks over- removed crushed gravel and replaced with argonite sand), but when I did:

I fed O.S.I. Brine shrimp flakes and O.S.I. Spirulina flakes. Mostly the Spirulina flakes though. Everybody loved it (2 tanks consisted of combination of: Royal Grammas, Ocel Clowns, Flame Angel, Coral Beauty Angel, several Green Chromis, and skunk cleaner shrimps). I just used the Brine shrimp flakes so they got a varied diet. Everyone once in a while (usually about twice a month) I fed fresh table shrimp chopped into very small pieces. All of them lived between 4-7 years.

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Sure, most fish will eat anything.

But are they getting the nutrition that they particularly need?

Do we really know what every fish in our tanks require to be happy and thrive?

Many a Yellow Tang has slowly starved to death, even when eating all the time, but not getting enough greens/algae.

Variety is best way to go to try and insure every fish is eating what it needs to stay healthy and stress free.

Ummmmm, wonder if that may be why tangs are so ICK prone???? --- while will eat anything, needs lots of green stuff...

:-/