Fish Food Recipes

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by faroreefer, May 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. faroreefer

faroreefer Astrea Snail

There really needs to be a forum on food (maybe there is and i can't find it?) But here I go anyway...
    I've seen a few DIY recipes and some info on what to put in them (eg clams, muscles, oysters, squid,shrimp,etc)
    But what about things not to put in.

Is all fish ok to mix? salmon, cod , tilapia
    What about canned fish? oysters, muscles, clams

the grocery store sells a frozen bag called "seafood medley" It has octopus,squid, cuddlefish,cooked muscles.cooked shrimp. Is that ok?

It also sells organic dulse. Which from the east coast. OK instead of nori?

Need some good advice from some knowlegable folks. Any advice ? or experiences ?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I have never gone about creating my own concoction from scratch, as far as foods are concerned.
    What I do, however, is take clam, oyster eggs, shrimp(mysis and brine), rotifers, cyclops and sometimes add phytoplankton or other forms of liquid food along with vitamins to the mix and feed two to three times a day with this concoction in small amounts. I will also feed flake food as a suitable and important way of varying the diet of my fish especially. Vegetable flake foods are especially viable to my Tangs and other algae/vegetable diet eaters!
    Remember also, that your inhabitants will find food within the confines of your tank in the rock work and benthic areas of your tank(substrate) as well, in the form of algae, pods and microscopic molluscs and polychaete worms.

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Great satisfaction in making your own food. Significant savings also from buying those prepackaged frozen cubes. You also know exactly what your fish are getting.

Those "seafood medley" packages are great. Have used before.

But don't know how fresh everything is in them.

Just about as cheap to go to well stocked fish counter at any large super market and buy couple of everything they have on shelf...

Do add some chopped nori and a couple drops of garlic extract if you want.

i.e.

(repost) (variety is spice of life...)

Heck with the above.

Went by my Asian food store today and was told they no longer carry this product.

So stopped by Safeway on way home and got:

6 shrimp
    1 crab leg
    1 sole fillet
    4 scollops
    4 mussels

Total cost: $2.75 (fresh!)

(was a bit weird buying. When I asked for 4 scollops, the sales person said "4" pounds? --- no just 4 I said. Then I asked for 4 mussels, same response. --- she finally got it on 3rd request [​IMG])

Looks Like:

[​IMG]

Chopped Nori and kelp flakes added then put thru grinder:

[​IMG]

Yummy...ready to get out spoon...:p

[​IMG]

Packed in sandwich bag & sent to freezer...this will take care of my frozen feeding needs for 2-3 months.

[​IMG]

Some squid only thing I wanted to add also, but they were out of stock...

Oh...also added some finely chopped nori and a few drops of garlic extract to mix in grinder.

Good looking stuff...my fish will love it. (They do - )

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

PS...
    (make some extra!)

above will also make great chowder mix...!!! ::)

1 person likes this.
  6. faroreefer

faroreefer Astrea Snail

Thanks Omard , I knew that I had read that somewhere before, just couldn't find it.

Please everyone else please post your wins/losses in regards to making your own food

7. Ryan

Ryan Spaghetti Worm

Sorry to bring an old post back from the dead, but I am considering making my own food.

What is "nori"? type of fish? where do I get it?

What about putting vegetables in the food? What kind of vegetables?

Also, Omard your crab leg there is pre-cooked, I have always heard you have to be careful not to feed your fish cooked fish/shrimp/crab cause it looks all nutritional value, is that true?

8. Click Here!

9. jptrson

jptrson Feather Duster

Nori is just Japanese for green seaweed, but if you get tired of your margaritas tasting like bad Sushi, go with Rods food, or there is a local place in Portland that make ???reef gumbo.

10. Ryan

Ryan Spaghetti Worm

Reef Gumbo? I'll look it up on google!

I like DIY, thats why Im thinking of making my own food.

by the way, I was born & grew up in bend/redmond....