Fish Food going out overflow!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Chris Jones, Jun 15, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chris Jones

Chris Jones Feather Duster

Since I have started feeding blood worms and frozen shrimp to my inhabitants, I noticed that before the fish could get their fill, some of the food was going out the overflow to my refugium.

So now I unplug my return pump to stop the in/out from my tank and let the circulation pump run in the tank. This is the only way I can see to ensure that they get the food.

Is this the way everyone else does it or is there something else I can do. It is a minor inconvenience to do this and i am thinking of putting an external switch on the return pump to do this easily when it comes to feeding time.

Just looking for other ideas, or someone to tell me "yup, that is how you do it".

thanks, Chris

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I put my Wavemaker in Feeding mode. This stops all the Power heads, but I let my return stay on.
    I also rinse all my food and add it to the tank with a net. This allows me to get the food deeper in the water and it takes more time to come to the surface and go into the overflow. Usually the fish get it first.

J

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

With fish in the refugium and my over flow at one end of the tank I just feed at the other end. The fish display that Pavlovian response and get the majority of the food before it ever gets to the overflow. I still feed the refugium. JME