Fish food for Silver Arowana

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by alvinsmith, Oct 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. alvinsmith

alvinsmith Plankton

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Guppies, feeder gold fish, minnows, night crawlers. May I ask what size tank your keeping it in?

4. project1

project1 Spaghetti Worm

omg im so jealous of you they are so hard to find down here! i hopes its a 75 gal + they need alot of room i think i heard full grown will need a 200 gal. i have always wanted a silver arrowana
    heres a site that has some foods listed
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/arowana/silver.php

5. Hydronaut

Hydronaut Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

More like 300gal minimum. Silvers can grow up to 36" long, so you would need a tank at least that wide eventually. As far as feeding goes, I've heard of a lot of people using Hikari Massivore and Hikari Carnivore Sticks. I'd probably go with the sticks since they float and arowanas tend to feed near the surface.

6. alvinsmith

alvinsmith Plankton

Thanks for the tips Hydronaut. Actually I don't have idea that it will grow 36" long.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  7. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

^+1 hikara carnavore sticks are good for arowanna's

8. Click Here!

9. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

I grew mine up on tetra koi sticks. He got to 24 inches then jumped out of the pond he was in when there was slight flooding.

10. DustinB32

DustinB32 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

any good quality pellet/stick would be ok. I would say feeder fish but only if you quarantine them first to make sure they're disease free. Any kind of feeder insects, shrimp, frogs, I've even seen on youtube people feeding them mice.

11. mightyrae

mightyrae Spaghetti Worm

I would avoid live food. They can be trained to eat pellets quite easily after about a week of no food. I've used hikari floating sticks with much success. I will tell you to make sure you do a big water change every week to avoid folded gil flap. Its not fixable from what Ive read. Also the height of your tank as the eyes will get frozen in one direction as it will amost always be looking down at you or whatever. Ive seen up as well for low tanks. GL

12. skyline377

skyline377 Astrea Snail

I had mind for 12 year he/she just passed. I never feed live food I just feed Hikari Carnivore Sticks and freeze dried krill. Now I have 3 extra packs of the food sticks wondering if I can feed it to my reef fishes.