Fish Dying Need Help

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by nept2n, Apr 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I've heard this too :(....FWIW, I think that even though you have a large system, that it's probably still a good idea to add new fish slowly......your biological filter was able to handle your previous bioload but your new system will need time to build up to handle more. I hope that makes sense...

2. Click Here!

3. nept2n

nept2n Coral Banded Shrimp

It does make sense. Thx

4. Vizzle1717

Vizzle1717 Coral Banded Shrimp

I'm so sorry for your loss...

marine velvet is a nasty thing

5. nept2n

Thanks Vizzle. I just got home and checked my tank. It seems that my original stock is holding on. I'm hoping they make it through. They are not showing signs or symptoms and I'm hoping that they don't

6. Marty

Marty Stylophora

In the future I would QT, treat with cupramine for 14 days and do several days of one 10 minute fresh water dip. Keep them QT'd for a minimum of 30 days. Velvet can nuke a system of fish very quickly. Sorry for your losses. :(

7. Rhameolution

Rhameolution Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I was reading about 5 minute freshwater dips, what is the happy-medium amount of time a saltwater fish can handle freshwater and still have the parasite die off?

8. Click Here!

9. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

I also made an upgrade from a 75 to 180 - IMO i found out the hard way - that adding three large tangs can be too much at this stage. Not saying this is what killed the fish - but 2 months in - adding three fish can create issues.
    A few things to ponder
    - what type of acclimation did you use.
    - are there tangs in your tank now?
    - did you turn lights off when adding the new fish
    - were did you get these fish (trusted lfs?)
    - check your PH vs the PH of the store you bough these fish.

10. Marty

Marty Stylophora

You do not want to go past 15 minutes or the fish may start to suffer. Going 10 minutes should be good. Put an airstone and heater in the bucket and test ph to match QT tank (important, thanks DevinH). If the fish swims irratically or tries to jump out, net them and end the dip. This means they will not take to it. If they gently swim or just hang out in place it is ok, they are not terribly stressed and are ok to continue. Beware of odd floating around too, that means they are stunned and you should not continue.

If you just do cupramine for 14 days, testing daily to maintain pinpoint levels, you should be good to go as ich and velvet both treat well with cupramine. Just use carbon to remove the cupramine from the QT and test until it reaches zero.

11. nept2n

I agree. I think that the 3 was a bit too much. I wanted to add them all at the same time to avoid territorial issues. I acclimated them by drip method. It took me 6 plus hours to take them from a 1.020 to 1.025.. Ph from the bag 8.1 my tank is 8.0. I had the lights off in the tank throughout the process plus I had the container partially cover to provide additional shade from ambient light. I got the fish from liveaquaria. When the tangs went it about 6 pm the lights were out till the next day at 10 am. Those were the only tangs in the tank. I didn't have any before them.

12. nept2n

Update

Well I happy to report that I've only lost 2 more fish two days ago. The rest of my stock or my older fish seem to be eating and no signs so far of distress. I'm praying as some have suggested that those were the last that will go. I'll update again in a couple of days. Wish me luck