Resolved Fish dying, HELP ASAP

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by davidkaleko, Oct 31, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

are your lights turned out to reduce stress?

and you might want to move the snail away so it stops bugging him

2. Click Here!

3. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

fresh water dipping is one of the most stressful things for a fish possible, i would never do that to a fish, sorry about the fish
    just remember one thing, this saltwater hobby, especially with ANY fish, it's hit or miss, if the fish isn't healthy, most likely it's not going to make it, if the fish is healthy, it's going to live like a king in captivity. some fish just don't make it in captivity.. don't stress it out further

1 person likes this.
  4. kalandra

kalandra Flamingo Tongue

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I don't like using fresh water dips either. I would have suggested a salt water dip with tank water and add some copper to it, that would be a lot less stressful IMO. I had a clown that I fresh water dipped and it only made the situation worse.

6. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Did it make it through the night?

7. artspeaker

artspeaker Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I use a fish water dip on all my new purchases and have yet to have a problem. I believe it has prevented many. With regard to your problem, you might want to read my post on my success in the fish disease section. I had two fish that I thought would never make it and they miraculously did.

8. Click Here!

9. artspeaker

artspeaker Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Just so you know, according to the label, Para Guard is effective on Ich, and is safe on fish and filters. It can be used in your general tank, a hospital tank, or a receiving tank when new fish are introduced to a community tank.

I had never heard of it until my LFS recommended it, but it worked when nothing else did.

10. coloradoReef

coloradoReef 3reef Sponsor

I think a freshwater dip was completely acceptable in this situation.

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I have successfully fresh water dipped many fish using Methylene Blue.
    "PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:
    Methylene Blue is effective against superficial fungal infections of fishes. The drug may be used as an alternative to Malachite Green for the control of fungus when it is known that the fish to be treated are sensitive. Methylene Blue is safe for use with fish eggs and fry for the prevention of fungal infections. As a secondary use, it is effective against some external protozoans, such as Ichthyophthirius (Ich), Chilodonella and Costia. Click for additional information on the THE LIFE CYCLE OF ICH
    The properties of the drug as an oxygen transporter (it converts methemoglobin to the normal oxygen carrying component of fish blood, hemoglobin) allow it to be used in the treatment of known cyanide and nitrite poisoning of aquarium fishes. It has been suggested that newly arrived marine fish placed in Methylene Blue can have their survival rate increased as Methylene Blue aids in the reversal of nitrite and/or cyanide poisoning."

The oxygen transport is the key here in actually aiding the fish. In an "emergency" this is an appropriate way to go. However, as I have stated in this forum many times, as a prevention, Marine-Max is the best prevention I have found.

12. davidkaleko

davidkaleko Flamingo Tongue

Just to update everyone:

The freshwater dip was semi-successful. It cleared 95% of the ich spots off the fairy, but he leaned against a rock and gasped for breath all night. I found him in the morning still gasping, and surrounded by a bunch of mucus-strand looking things, seeming to web him in... I'm guessing he excreted it himself while struggling.

When the lights turned on, he picked up and swam around the tank a bit... much better than he was doing last night. He is now resting against a rock and is very pale... gasping a bit less though. He could be getting better, I'm not sure what to do next.

The LFS opens in half an hour and I'm calling them and asking what I should do. This para-guard product looks great... can I dose the tank with all my fish in it, and it'll clear the ich problem? Assuming I regularly dose for a few weeks or something?

Also, my tank runs 79-81 degrees... is this too high for the wrasse? The only way I can cool the tank down to 77-78 or so is by running a fan across the surface, which means I lose a *TON* of water due to evaporation, which makes the salinity jump significantly.