Resolved Fish dropping to the Sand - Thank You Mr. Bill

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by sticksmith23, Apr 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Oh, yeah. No doubt in my mind.

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I guess the best way I know to get rid of him in a hurry is with boiling water. I have one peppermint shrimp in there, but I don't think he will touch this big guy.

4. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

i dont believe aptasia can kill a fish that hard. i mean if it was laying on the aptasia then yes it could. but when fish feel a sting they sorta use there reflex and run. i think the cause was because your ammonia waas .25. ammonia that level is really harsh on a fish. sorry i couldnt post on time having troubles with my tank too! but know doubt it was the ammonia spike.

5. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

i have a suspicion that this is an infection quite common with dwarf angels, i had the exact thing happen to a coral beauty i had. its most likely an infection of the swim bladder. this can happen when a fish swallows a pocket of air, this could be anything from accidentally swallowing air when eating food at the surface or mistaking a tiny air bubble for a particle of food. it is very hard to treat it but one method i have found to work and many others have as well is to feed the fish raw peas soaked in garlic. the garlic is to entice the fish into eating the peas only. i know it is already to late and i am sorry for your loss but if something like this happens a second time you may have a chance to give this method a try. i have heard of it working on many occasions.

6. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

0.25 is definitely enough to take down a fish. Some are hardy and can live through it, (albeit they will take a hit to the gills), but most will not tolerate that level well.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yep, detectable ammonia of questionable level, (test kits are not reliable).

8. Click Here!

9. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I just tested my water about an hour ago and I have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. Whatever ammonia was there was quickly taken care with BB in the tank. Thanks everyone for thier ideas/suggestions. It is really appreciated.
    Mozilla/4.0 (BREW 3.1.5; U; en-us; Sanyo; NetFront/3.5.1/AMB) Boost SCP6760

10. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

Caught one of my aiptasia riding my current yesterday. Almost got it before my clown tried to ingest it...almost. Clown just didn't appear to like the taste didn't even flinch. Wasn't the first i've seen on the current either. It's pretty rare though? Wonder why mine are unfooting. Never thought to worry they might catch one of my fish though....

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

How is your clown holdIng up after that encounter?
    Mozilla/4.0 (BREW 3.1.5; U; en-us; Sanyo; NetFront/3.5.1/AMB) Boost SCP6760

12. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

Still in great shape. He looked more unhappy it wasn't tasty than that he got stung.