Unresolved fish dieing off slowly

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by skyvern2130, Nov 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Well, it sounds like the problem may have resolved??

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

My thoughts, exactly. FWIW, the TDS (continuity) meter can only read 'charged' ions; contaminants with 'neutral' ions are not detected.

If you're using the RO/DI for top-offs, it may be safe to assume the new resin was the problem. Perhaps it didn't completely flush in the allotted 30 minutes? Guess we'll never know for certain, but thankfully it's over.

4. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

Soundsm likemit, imwill probally run carbon for a week or so when I get some just to be on safe side

5. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

Well idk, but I have 5 fish left and I had 12 fish in there and idk. But i think Im going to find someone to take my last 5 fish so I can take my tank down and just clean everything and reset it up as a lionfish tank or somthing. Idk of any places I can take the fish near me. Ik petco might take them but im not to sure I want them going there. If anyone else has a solution im open to all idea. Everything is were it should be. Trates are setting at 40 ppm though. So I am really at a loss for this ik this happens to best of them. If I cant figure this out I guess lfs might get the fish :-[:cry:

6. Mrhighline

Mrhighline Fire Shrimp

12 seems like Alot for a 55 ... I'm not an expert but that seems like big bioload for that size tank.

7. cjsdubia

cjsdubia Astrea Snail

you live in florida and dont have a lfs ? like a home based one not a chain

8. Click Here!

9. skyvern2130

skyvern2130 Stylophora

I have 2 in mind other than petco. Portaquatics and petowners warehouse. I will call them in the morning. Maybe starting off with a barebottom or like a 2 in sand bed. I think one of my problems may have came from my 4 inch sand bed.

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Sorry to hear that the problem had not resolved :( Sounded like you were on your way in a good direction. Did you end up running the carbon??

11. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

Maybe the water pouring in from the hose of the ro/di filter stirred up the sand and released built up gases? I also agree that's a lot of damsels and you would have had aggression issues as they matured. My tank has more territory space and I wouldn't add a clown to my tank since I have the 2 damsels, though I've been wanting one and so far no aggression.