Fish aren't Swimming! Help

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ryanwolf, Jun 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

ich isn't cured in 1-2 weeks as the life cycle is about 6-8 weeks. When treating ich you have to kill the parasite and then take out the baby parasites after they hatch. The "spots" you seen on the fish aren't the parasite themselves but the eggs.\

2. Click Here!

3. jptrson

jptrson Feather Duster

Sorry to say but I give your cleaner wrasse 48hrs, they are already difficult to keep under good conditions, at 80ppm he might jump right out of the tank.
    If you belive the guy does have a heart, at the least he me be misinformed. Just because you do something a hundred times doesn'nt make it right. Just imagine raising the price on gas to solve the gas situation:confused:

4. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!

Clownfish: True, but even in this situation they probably are not going to do well.

Tangs: Definitely needs supplemental feeding and not suggested for a new tank

Anthias: These are wonderful fish..We have 3 females and a male..They do require multiple feedings and are very finicky eaters, no flakes or pellets. They will only take frozen mysis for the most part...

No doubt, research before adding anything to your tank

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  5. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Lets Look at these statements made by this "boob" of a LFS owner for a moment.

First off it's in my opinion that i wouldint let that man take care of my stopped up toilet.

2ndly,why should you not talk to every tom/dick/mary ? it helps to talk and educates on what NOT to do and what you may want to try ( methods of reef keeping ).
    ITS THE WAY ONE WILL LEARN BY READING AND TALKING AMONGST FELLOW PEOPLE IN THE SAME HOBBY.

3rdly, he's bringing over a cleaner wrasse to an already stressed out tank.
    ( if any thing maybe a cleaner shrimp it's alot smaller and has a better chance of surrvival than that poor wrasse .)

4th, "quote"> So the least amount of work has to be put into it """
    WTH ! ?????????????.

We all know what work you put into it makes it better

This guy is a true morron of the highest order.
    ( sorry guys it's the way i feel )

That man couldint find his own A$$ with both hands and a A$$ map....lol

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
    2 people like this.
  6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

ok lets think about this for a minute. ANY of us who keep a reef tank work our A$$E$ off to take care of these things. You get from a marine aquarium what you put into it. This guy should sell nothing but gold fish and the little plastic aquariums with bubbles and fake fish you see at wal-mart. You know, maybe he looked at the Marine Aquarium Kit Boxes you see at petco and saw a regal angel, a flame angel and 6 tangs in an 18 gallon tank. This guy's IQ is no higher than my smallest tank size.

7. Zectra

Zectra Feather Duster

Where's this idiotic LFS located at? I'll come on over and pimp slap this boy down for you.

8. Click Here!

9. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

well Ryan this guy is a goofy bast##d, dont listen to him, I am with wild on this one, adding more fish is NOT gonna help anything, only gonna compound an already terrible situation!!!

Fish are what caused the poor water quality to start with, Do not let him add anything else to your tank Trust us on this one.

10. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

I'm speechless.

Ryan- as representative of Tom, Mary, Dick, Jane, Ed, etc. DO NOT let this dude near your tank.

Cleaner wrasses are hard to take care of, and there is actually a movement to not take them out of the wild anymore for this reason. Nothing should ever go in a crashed tank. Do not listen to this guy.

Did you buy the bacteria? If not go do that as soon as you can. The LFS guy is an a$$ who only sees you as a walking wallet.

RESEARCH. He says he's bringing over a cleaner wrasse? If you have doubts about what 20+ people here are telling you then look it up on the internet. You will see that that fish has a horrible reputation as an aquarium fish. (BTW ignore anyone who says they were great and that they had one for 6 months, 6 months is not a success where fish are concerned, it's just the right amount of time for them to starve to death)

Ideally find someone who can take your fish and hold them for a few weeks and just let your tank sit and cycle.

Once again research. There is no reason to trust this LFS dude. He said he's set up tanks like this a lot? And that it works great? Tell him to explain that to your dead fish! This is a hobby to keep fish alive, not kill them in ridiculously record time!

You seriously need to be researching SW tanks buddy. After this horrendous situation I'm stumped as to why you would let him near your tank again. Ask him what he thinks of a cycle when you see him again.

11. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

Update On Fish Not Swimming

Just got back from work and wanted to share what happened with the LFS returning to "fix" my tank.
    He brought the cleaner wrasse and introduced it to the tank...
    The 2 surviving clowns and tang-- LOVED HIM. They went crazy. Offered their bodies, and the wrasse went to town...
    So much so, that I have no idea where he's at tonight... likely sleeping I'm sure.
    The white spots on the fish are no longer detectable on the clowns...
    and the tang's are virtually gone including his red lips. That was weird to see.

The surviving fish appear healthy, they're eating and swimming the length of the tank.

The bad news, my NITRATES are still between 60 and 80ppm... down from the 120 mark 2 days ago.

The LFS has promised to replace some of the fish lost... and appears to be working with me.

After reading everyones responses... I'm thinking adding the wrasse was the wrong move. I am concerned about the wrasse's well-being and do fear he may fall victim to the NITRATE levels as well. Although on day one appeared to be fine.

I have decided not to do any water changes again until the weekend... at which time will be a 15 gallon change or 20 percent of the tank. I am letting the biological filter run its last course (praying)

I am noticing weird growths on the rock... they look like white and yellow blobs... can't make it out what they are... they look to be about the shape of a dime... 1/2 inch thick...

They're not eggs from the ICH are they?? Too big right?

I also took some photos of the tank and the surviving 3 three fish who made it through what I'm calling and I'm sure you'll agree was hell week! My tank is officially 1 week old tomorrow morning.

let me know what you think...
    again nitrate levels are a huge concern and it's a miracle fish are doing so well... let us not forget the casualities though... may the 6 fish rest in peace!

Ryan

Attached Files:

12. jptrson

jptrson Feather Duster

How about some pics of the blobs? When all is done though you should have a nice looking tank, although the bio-ball may become a issue. Hopefully these guys live long healthy lives from here on out.