Fish act like they're starving!

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by kcbrad, Sep 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I just hate thinking that they are starving! I want them to be happy :).
    I'm interested in getting them on some type of flake and/or pellet. How would I go about doing that?

2. Click Here!

3. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Slowly. Introduce some flake and pellet at the same time you add frozen. They'll slowly get used to it. I feed more frozen, meaty nutritious than I do pellet or flake, they like it better and I don't see a reason to only do one or the other - they have a variety in the wild, they should in the tank too.

1 person likes this.
  4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I've been wanting to vary their diet because it seems so boring. Would you recommend pellets or flakes (I see you do pellets)? I'm wondering which one would contribute to less waste....the pellets that might sink to the bottom or the flakes that might get carried away in the current and pollute the water...What do you think?

5. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I like the pellets better.

Omega One pellets are made by a company in Alaska. They are made with herring, salmon, halibut, black cod, krill, squid, clam, salmon eggs, octopus, kelp, spirulina, among a list of other good things. 2% garlic, so the fish are attracted to it. Good source of Omega 3 and 6 HUFA's. Doesn't bother me if any get lost in the tank - the cleanup crew will finish them off. I have few snails but quite a few hermits that keeps up with the leftovers. Few pellets make it to the bottom, the fish absolutely go nuts for them.

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Cool! I'm excited to give it a try! I think my fish will be excited over the new stuff. Thanks a lot for all the help!

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Picked up some pellets today. I'm excited to try them! My LFS didn't have Omega One, but I bought Ocean Nutrition. We'll see how it goes!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Ocean Nutrition makes good stuff. I'm sure the fish will enjoy!

10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Well, good news! So far, two of my fish love the pellets. My clown went right up to the top and starting eating them without any hesitation (he is so low key, I love it!), and within a day my royal gramma started coming to the top and getting some. The damsel has reluctantly tasted them when they sink down, but then he spits them out. I think he is pretty much peeved about the whole idea! :) Wouldn't that be just like a damsel?!!

11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

maybe i should try my puffer on these pellets, he's an extremely picky fish and will only eat frozen bloodworms, so i feed him half a cube every other day. Maybe he will like the meatyness of the pelets. gald to hear that your fish are taking them

12. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Just be careful with the flake. If you read the ingredients you'll see that most flake foods have some type of phosphates in them. They use it as a preservative. I'm not sure how much it actually adds to the tank, but I'm not taking any chances. My pellets don't have any, so I think they are a better choice.