First Time Fragging Zoos

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Birchell, Mar 26, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Well last night I got brave, and figured I would just go for it. I fragged about 20 zoos. I got them as hitch-hichers on a yellow polyp rock. The yellow poylps were stinging the crap out of the zoos, so they wernt growing very well. Now they are in the 100 under the t-5's so they sould have a color morph pretty soon. It is really easy to frag these guys, just cut them off the rock with a razor blade, and super glue them to a rock. :lol: its that easy!! I used Imwalls idea of glueing them to an old flower pot skeleton. Now they will grow into a dome of zoos, hehe. Thanks for looking,

Michael

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. dlaclo

dlaclo Spaghetti Worm

that is awsome.... This might sound dumb but what is fragging? and how do you do it?

4. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

fragging, is cutting and remounting a smaller cutting of the coral. Then you can grow the cuttings out and have a new coral. This will not work for all corals as easily, so read up before you do it!!

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

frag=fragmenting, cutting them apart from the mother colony usually. Its basically just cutting the coral. you cut different corals in different ways. You can usually buy frags for a lot less then the whole colony. Typically $5-20 depending on what it is.

6. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

yea, what he said, :lol:

7. dlaclo

dlaclo Spaghetti Worm

ahhh thank you . This site is so helpful I can already tell that it is going to save my hide at times I am sure i will be asking a lot more after I add my live rock thou thanks again :)

8. Click Here!

9. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

no problem, that is what were here for!!

1 person likes this.
  10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Michael,
    Super glue worked for adherring the zoos to the Goniopora carbonate skeleton!? I would think that the zoo's being slimy/mucus, would not stick very well!!! Cool if it worked!
    By the way, do you get my messages when I IM you on Yahoo messenger?!

11. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

Nice. I have some zoo's that are in need of fragging.

12. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

CR, the glue has held for about 24 hours now with no problems. I think shrooms are the worst at staying put, lol. Yea Ive been getting your messenges, but im always gone, lol. I just leave my computer on, and my messenger stays signed on all day... I tried talking the other day, but it didnt work??

Urban, it is super easy to frag them!! the hard part is gluing them out of the water, and adding them back before they die, lol. Good luck. Just be carefull, zoos are really toxic!!!