first there was 50, now theres 42!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by bobssecrtsn, Apr 13, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

Well, it wasnt long till i got hooked, I told myself after selling all my equipment i was done. I guess that didnt stop me from coming back!

heres my old tank, 50Gallon Cube,

[​IMG]

after discussing to my other half on how better it will be if we have an aquarium in the house it would be more peaceful. So she agree'd and with much debating on what tank to get, and how it would look, we opt for the cadlight VERSA series 42Gallon..

I always wanted a rimless semi long tank, and this one hit the spot. theres some pro's and cons about the tank but nothing a DIY wont fix!

Sorry for the crappy iphone pictures, as soon as i get my DSLR back the tank should be up and running!

[​IMG]

there wasn't any issue with the tank, but the design for the sump wasnt planned out well.

1. the middle chamber, was only 2". so thinking it over, i removed 2 baffles and relocated one.

from left to right it'll be, refugium overflowing into the skimmer/overflow then overflowing into the return pump.

[​IMG]

the plumbing isnt quiet done yet.. still need the plumb items for chiller and reactors as needed.. but so far everything looks good to go!

Lighting:

Radion gen2 xr30

Flow:

2x Jebao wp25

1 Vortech mp40

Skimmer:

I didn't have a choice on this, but I'm going with a Bubble Magus NAC 3.5

Return pump:

Quietone 3000

thats about it folks! stay tune for the updates!

Corailline likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Oh alright, I guess I will follow. :p

Glad you're back in the game.

Got quite the equipment light,wow. Have you done all LED before?

4. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

I havent
    I did go ai nano sol before with my nano tank, and the sps did not like it one bit. but im thinking of giving the radions a try and see? ultimately what i want is a 6bulb ATI fixture.. there's no rush atm so my ideas are still out there! help me choose!

5. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Can't go wrong with ATI. I suck at LED, but those that succeede with them seem to advise starting out very low and ramping up slowly.

6. Corailline

I love the ATI as well. Member Magnus just got a Power Module ATI.

I am running the AI Hydra, still learning.

I know a lot of people with the Radion, they swear by it. Got to go slow though.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

an MP40, and a wp25, in that tank? You could surf in there!

Welcome back in and congrats on a new start

DSC reef likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Welcome back. Can't wait to see it wet

10. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

sorry! i mean the RW-10? havent really searched up the new pumps but i hear they're a bang for your buck!

so an update 4/14/15:

i went to the fish store (aqua SD) out here in san diego CA, if you ever get a chance you should come by, amazing corals to choose from! anywho ! i picked out some rock work, i couldnt justify spending 8$/LB for shelf rock so i got myself uncured, dead, base rocks. and got to work! needless to say i spend a total of 110$ there! rocks/sand/filtersock/misc stuff!

this is how it turned out,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

havent gotten wet yet, but im very anxious to do it! i still need to muratic bath the rocks and then epoxy them together, and somehow manage to get 40 gallons if r/o into the tank ( i dont have an R/O unit anymore )

on another note, MAX is this weekend at the OC fair in CA. hopefully ill get some good equipment for a good price!

11. Corailline

Dang I wished I still lived in OC, so many good stores/warehouses and shows.

I guess you'll be buying Catalina water initially, can you say hello water containers again. :p

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

welcome back! tank looks really good - a really nice size. It sure looks like you know what you're doing!