First SW ever owned...Build thread

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Redd, Jan 27, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

you're right, the water is crystal clear

2. Click Here!

3. Redd

Redd Astrea Snail

Parameters:
    Salinity = 1.026-1.028
    Temp: 79.9
    NH3: 0.25
    NO2: 0.05
    NO3: 0

I'm slowly starting the cycle. I started with 5 lbs of live rock, 20 of cured dry and 5 of dry. I have been ghost feeding pretty much everyday twice a day, for 8 days. I have seen life. Some brown algae on rocks and a feather duster in one of the pieces of LR. I have since turned the lights off completely during the cycle. Below are a few pics of the feather duster and algae. Any comments or suggestions are welcome

Attached Files:

cody3819 likes this.
  4. Redd

Redd Astrea Snail

All, I decided to throw a 2.5" long raw table shrimp in the sump last night in a media bag.WOW did that kick in the cycle!
    in less than 24hrs; the parameters:
    pH= 8.0
    Temp: 78.2
    NH3: 1.0
    NO2: 0.5
    NO3: ~8.0

~45hours before these readings i was barely off the ground with no measurable NO2,NO3 and 0.25NH3.

My question is how long should I leave that shrimp in there? Rememeber that I ahve been ghost feeding up until this evening. This shrimp size is likely overkill for the size of the tank. I'm thinking of leaving the shrimp in until I hit 4ppm NH3, then take it out and continue ghost feeding? your thoughts?

5. Redd

Redd Astrea Snail

THE CYCLE IS DONE!
    NH3 - 0.0
    NO2- 0.0
    NO3- ~15.0

Sadly I have found Bryposis growing in my tank. So I plan to treat that before I start stocking. See for yourself.....

Attached Files:

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

7. Jim Bonds

Jim Bonds Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Congrats. Good that you can get that briopsis squared away before you stock.

8. Click Here!

9. Redd

Redd Astrea Snail

Things have progressed nicely, overall. FIRST FISH IS IN! I tried to knock back the Bryopsis, but as you'll see in the video (3:03), it's still with me. I went ahead and stocked anyways in anticipation with treating for it as I go with Mg. My LFS said that the elevated Mg will not affect the snails or clown, so I went for it.
    I also am borrowing a turbo snail, purchased 5 Nassarius & 2 Margarita snails,

I'm wondering what the maroon/purple growth is you'll see. I'm leaning towards Cyanobacteria.
    Enjoy!

10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

The maroon is cyano, just syphon during next water change. I would take a tooth brush to that rock since it's very little bryopsis instead elevating levels in a new tank. Congrats on the fish.

11. Redd

Redd Astrea Snail

I haven't posted updates in a while, so here is one.
    Params:
    Ca - 380
    Mg - 1275
    PO4 - ?
    NH3, NO2, NO3 - 0.00
    AlkH - 8.4 dKh
    ph- 8.1 - 8.3
    Salinity - 1.025
    Temp - ~77degF
    Lights - 5.25hr 10K, 10hr Actinic Blue, Blue LED varies ~3hrs (all stock BC29 PCompacts) This is a reduced time interval, see algae below
    Media- stock Bio-balls, Active Carbon & Floss, (in that order in chamber 1, from bottom to top, 80%, 10%, 10% of the space) ~30lbs rock (now live)
    Hydor SS nano
    MJ1200 return
    1 hydor koralia 425gph waver

~13% WC weekly (4 gallons) with Red Sea Coral Pro
    RO/DI from LFS

Livestock:
    1 Snowflake Clown (doing very well) ---- New Life pellets ~3-5 every day, 90-100% is consumed.
    2 Margarita, 1 mex turbo, 5 nassarius, snails

Corals:
    1 zooa frag with ~7 heads
    1 duncan frag with 3 heads
    1 rhodactis green mushroom, hanging in there after a tumultuous acclimation

Algae/pests I had/have:
    Bryopsis, -------------Mexican Turbo has grown a taste for it so he's the tank hero right now
    GHA: -----------------comes and goes in severity but nothing off the charts, probably will get 1-2 more margarita snails
    Dinoflagellates, -----physically remove when seen, not too bad of a colony, but got close
    Cyanobacteria, -----I think it's waning
    Diatoms, --------------blooming, hopefully will die off in a few weeks,
    1 small, newly discovered Aiptasia ! YESSSSSS! Look Closely in the last pic for it, under the zooa polyp.
    Coraline Algae is beginning to form as well which looks way cooler in person than on the net!

Yes I know I should be testing for PO4, and that is likely the cause for algae outbreaks, but from what I have researched the test kits are inconsistent and expensive. Also, I can observe I have algae. I already know what feeds it (phosphates) and how to treat it. I am running carbon and haven't gotten to the algae levels in which I am willing to invest in a reactor and GFO or wheatever, so I am not buying a test kit for it as of yet. My brain tests for it and the results are, I have them, and its not too high. I also, have used Mg ion to raise low levels in the tank already a few times. Here are the pictures.....

Attached Files:

12. Oryo

Oryo Feather Duster

Looks like you're on your way!!!!

Most important thing is to be PATIENT!

Redd likes this.