First sps blue acroporia

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by 10acrewoods, Mar 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

thanks a ton on the read up. good read for sps owners that info was just what I was looking for.

2. Click Here!

3. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Glad I could help!

4. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

Well spotted a small crab inside the acropa. Its claws look just like a closed polyp, I mean if it wasn't moving I would have never noticed. I wish I could get a pic but my eyes have a hard time seeing it. It is so tiny I wish I had a macro zoom on my camera. It is a really neet crab. smooth and blue.

5. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

so been 2 days and have yet to see polyp extention. I look at night but might be going to bed to early to see. I might try to feed later some coral frenzy to see if that might work. Any imput would be helpfull

1 person likes this.
  6. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora

How bout a good luck!

7. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Is your signature up to date? It doesn't sound like you have a lot of flow in either of those tanks. For SPS a lot of people go 40x to 50x the tank volume for flow. So on the 75 gallon 50x flow would be 3750gph. Of course it depends on what else is in your tank but polyp extension can sometimes be related directly to the amount of flow it's getting, they LOVE flow! :)

Keep an eye on that crab too, on such a small frag even commensal crabs, the crabs that can live peacefully/symbiotically with the acro, can cause problems because the frag is so small, the crab might need a larger acro colony. At least that's what I've read.

Also if you immediately placed the frag high up in the tank under that MH it might be going through some light shock, generally it's a good idea to start new SPS colonies/frags low in the tank, even on the sandbed for a few days and let them slowly acclimate to the tank then move them up.

Does the crab maybe look like this? This is only one type you can google for more I'm sure.
    http://www.melevsreef.com/id/acro_crab.html

Also there's a ton more information out here.
    http://www.wetwebmedia.com/AcroFAQs.htm

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I was gonna say, I'm seeing some blue!! Ooooooooo I'm excited and happy for you!!!!!!!! Very cool!

10. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

Thanks for your consern about the flow issue and I am addressing it at the moment. I was supose to have a korilla 4 coming into the store but it had gotten out of stocked on me. That would have boosted my flow to around 20x I know that is still not enough but will have to do as long as I consentrate flow in one side of tank I figure that It should surfice. We will see anyhow. As far as the light situation goes they were under intense halides before and wanted to keep them in a simmuler situation so that is why I placed it high in the tank. As far as the crab I guess I will have to watch him. It is really tiny at the moment but maybe come a problem in the futrure thanks for the heads up on that.

11. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

well it is dead. coral beauty pick it to death in a day. went to work in morning and was fine in afternoon bleached out and coral beauty was picking at it. uhhhhhh it was so sudden if I would have known I would have moved to another tank. piss me off.

12. Aqualung

Aqualung Stylophora