First SPS, and tips??

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Birchell, Mar 6, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Well im in the market to buy my first sps. Any tips on what is the easier kind to get?? Also how much flow is moderat to high?? Will they do best right in front of the power head, or alittle down wind??

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

flow is however many times your tank turns over per hour. low is 1-4 times per hour, moderate is 5-9 times, above 10 is high. calculate the gph for your filter and powerheads, divide by however many gallons your tank is and thats how you get the calculation. My tank turns over 12 times an hour. Soon to be more as soon as my parts get here that I ordered.

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Since SPS's dont sway with the current in the tank like soft corals, they need high flow to blow the organics off of it, or it will settle on them and cause it to die in those spots.

5. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

alright, well ive got like 1400 gph with everything, and 900gph with the powerheads. I guess im in the moderaly high zone depending on were in the tank it gets put. I hoping to mod one or two of my maxi jets, so ill have alot more flow... Im also gonna run a close loop with a mag 9.5, then ill take my powerheads out. Then my output from the sump will be a mag 7.

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

As for SPS', Millipora, Bali Slimmer, brown and green colored Acropora(Acropora with small, thin calcium carbonate skeletons), Montipora species, Pavona, Pocillipora and porites are some of the best starter and hardier corals as for Small polyped stonies!!!

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Forgot to answer the second part of your question!!! A moderate water flow is best as you don't want to overpower the polyps with too strong a current, or the polyps won't open fully possibly causing your coral to stress out!

8. Click Here!

9. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I have had luck with Pocillipora (growing madly) and Montipora. The Birds Nest I had was doing REALLY well but died due to my negligence.

I have no true idea why my Acro frag is dying off. But it's probably a goner by now. The skin is flaking off pretty rapidly and exposing the skeleton more and more each day. I dose regularly with Coral-Vite and feed the tank regularly also with DT's Live Phytoplankton. It's under MHs and as high in the tank as it can get.

It won't be my last Acro, though. But I DO wonder if it has to do with the addition of my Leather. And also maybe the Colt has something to do with it? I have heard somewhere (maybe even here) that SPS and Leathers (or softies in general) can't really co-exist.

Color me confused. :confused:

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Many soft corals have a detrimental effect on Acropora species due to their toxic compounds however they can coexist! Sinularia and Lobophyton soft corals represent the most lethal of the soft corals I believe! A good skimmer, the use of carbon occassionally, frequent water changes and the positioning of these two types of corals as far away from each other is critical to the success of your Acropora!
    Mucus and nematocysts are the chemical warefare displayed by many soft corals that can travel and if they land on a particular coral(SPS' especially), the coral can be injured!

11. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Thanks guys! Ive heard that pocillapora will grow fast and is one of the easier sps corals to grow... Ive found a realy cool colored on on liveaquaria, but ill have to see what I can get, as far as cheaper frags. Mybe someone in my clubs will have some for cheaper. I hate to pay 40 bucks for a 1 inch frag. :lol: .......

Brandon, Ive heard that leathers are really aggressive corals. If you frag it in the tank, they can reap havic.

12. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I won't be doing any fragging of it, that's for sure. I was kind of weary when I bought it, too, because I couldn't remember if it was safe for SPS or not. But it's STARK yellow and adds lots of color to the tank, so I figured I'd give it a go. But it really does seem that my poor acro has gone downhill since I added it. Even though the leather is "downwind" of it. Good thing is my other SPSs are still doing well. I have a good skimmer and run carbon though.......