First Reef Tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Scail, Feb 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scail

Scail Astrea Snail

Lol, yeah that could be a pretty cool setup. The other 55g tank does look kind of nice setup on the other side of the doorway adjacent to my reef tank. I am not interested in maintaining both of them permanently though, too much money. I will just use my old 55g tank as a FOWLR tank until I decide to start adding fish to my reef tank again.

2. Click Here!

3. Scail

Scail Astrea Snail

Just placed an order with ReefCleaners.org, should have a custom cleanup crew for my tank by next week.

4. Scail

Scail Astrea Snail

Also purchased parts to convert my recently acquired RODI system into a system with a vertical DI instead of a horizontal one. Just need to buy some replacement filters and I should be all set for RODI.

5. Scail

Scail Astrea Snail

Anybody have any ideas on this?

6. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

I'd start with the Hofer Gurgle Buster if you haven't come up with anything for this yet. Cheap and easy to adjust.

Hofer Gurgle Buster Construction

Good luck.

7. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

I used a small piece of underwater epoxy in between each rock. This stuff sets fairly hard, but not unbreakable. I didn't glue the entire surface between each rock, but put in just enough to stabilize it. Not sure how it will be to remove rocks if I ever need to. :)

HoldFast Epoxy Stick

8. Click Here!

9. Scail

Scail Astrea Snail

Thanks Hei, I will check out the gurgle buster and the epoxy for sure.

10. Scail

Scail Astrea Snail

Just got an email response from Reef Cleaners concerning my clean up crew. Looks like the shipping would be more then the cost of the entire crew, so I just had them cancel the order. Looks like I need to do some shopping around my LFS to put a decent crew together and avoid all the shipping fee's.

11. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

its a frogspawn :)

12. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

While a bubble would be a far better choice for anenome, your system is still too young to support the needs of an anenome....I would say a tank needs to be at the VERY least 6 months old before taking on an anenome. And while the Condy is a very hardy anenome, its not a good choice for a reef tank...1 because they grow very very large and have a POWERFUL sting...and 2 because they will not host clowns (which is the reason most people put an anenome in their tank).