First reef tank build, 75 gallons

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by riverchel, Jul 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. riverchel

riverchel Astrea Snail

Hi Kodak, sorry about the wording on that. Our 2" drain pipe goes to the skimmer compartment in the sump. It isn't plumbed directly into the skimmer. The 1" pipe comes off that pipe and goes to the refugium compartment.

Here is a picture that might show it a little better. (This was taken before we paited the pipes black).

[​IMG]

Hopefully you are able to see it, but the 2" pipe just kind of drops into that compartment. The skimmer is able to pick up water with the pump it comes with, and we aimed the skimmer outflow pipe towards the return pump, so the skimmed water gets pushed out into the return.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Kodak

Kodak Astrea Snail

Ok, I see now. Your setup look great!
    I'm planning my plumbing now. Looking at lots of differents setups for tips.

4. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Looking really great!! I think you should ask our moderators to move this thread to "Show off your tank" section, because this build is worth showing off!

You mentioned about the water drain noise. Unfortunately there is really nothing you can do to quiet down with this set up. You could add valves to regulate the air and water ratio in the drain pipe, I suppose, but it will never be dead silent. Since the tank is not in your livingroom or bedroom, might as well, enjoy the sound, no?

5. FyrFytr

FyrFytr Astrea Snail

Will definatly be following along, have a 55gal tank in my garage waiting for some time to have work done on it and get it hopefully HALF as nice as yours is looking.

I have a question about your sump setup. Normally when I see sumps it is water to the skimmer, to the fuge, to the pump back. Why did you make the choice to go the way you did? Is it efficient?

6. budsbunny

budsbunny Bristle Worm

Very nice build

it is very clean looking, not over done and yet does what is needed. i have been debating setting up my 150 again and i really like that overflow set up.
    the lights also look great....

7. dellyjoe

dellyjoe Teardrop Maxima Clam

really this is your first build no way. this is to good for a start build, but anyway good luck with everything i can't wait to see what you get done. subed.

8. Click Here!

9. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Wonderful build..great attention to the details of a successful build and cycle. You will be rewarded. : )
    ..tagging along. ; )

10. riverchel

riverchel Astrea Snail

Wow, thanks everyone for all the nice comments! We are so happy with our tank :)

It is probably not the quietest tank, but with some modifications we've been able to get it to sound more like a bubbling brook and less like a toilet.

We have a few critters in the tank now:

3 astrea snails
    2 turbo snails
    2 hermit crabs
    1 emerald crab (love this crab!)
    1 coral banded shrimp
    [​IMG]
    1 kryptonite candy cane coral frag
    [​IMG]
    >>>candy cane at night (sorry it's hard to see)
    [​IMG]
    1 ricordea mushroom frag
    [​IMG]

I've got a diamond watchman goby in our quarantine tank, and he is eating. We are really hoping he does well during the quarantine process, so we can add him to the display soon.

We decided to design the sump this way:
    skimmer section/ return pump/ refugium
    because I was researching that refugiums are more efficient with less flow. However, now we have changed things up by adding an algae turf scrubber over our refugium. (Which we are still waiting for the algae to grow.....). The original design still works with the ATS because when we get some copepods, etc, they will enjoy swimming in the refugium around the ATS with all the nutrients that it provides.

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Wow, this thread is impressive! You can tell that you have truly researched and are implementing how things should be done! I'm totally impressed...and I'm also an ocean dreamer too :) I am so drawn to water and all of its life forms.....on here, it's not weird but shared. I look forward to seeing your tank, I'm excited for you!

12. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

That looks great!!