First Haiti, then Chile, is California next?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by elweshomayor, Feb 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

There was a tsunami warning a couple of months ago in Huntington beach, only 20 minutes away, but never happened

2. Click Here!

3. slocal

slocal Doot!

Yellow Stone is in Wyoming. That's a heck of a ways away from CA. Almost 1000 miles. We have earthquakes here regularly. As most geologists will state, a bunch of little quakes is much better than one big one. We've heard this stuff for a long time but it's the same as people living in hurricane territory and tornado alley.

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Seattle is waaay overdue for it's "big one." Scary, considering most of the city sits on a huge fault line and is very hilly. Basically downtown would flow into Puget Sound. Oy Vey!

The tsunami warning is extended up to the Washington coast. Let's hope that a tsunami never hits, and that the death toll in Chile doesn't keep rising.

And with regards to Yellowstone, if the huge volcano that Yellowstone Park sits in erupted, the blow would be so huge the entire country would be affected by it. I read a book about it. But the earthquakes the park has every day don't extend very far - wouldn't extend any farther than earthquakes anywhere else.

5. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

good thing we sent so much support and money to haiti. we're gonna be broke if we keep sending multi-million dollar fundraisers to these places if they keep quaking. so when something DOES wind up happening in the USA we'll not have enough of our own support to help ourselves. it boggles me. people CHOOSE to live in those regions. so they should be prepared for travesty of epic proportions.

i dunno it bothers me when people are all about dropping everything they have to support people in a foreign country who should already be prepared for said catastrophes.

the USA needs to focus its efforts on the problems here. we have far greater issues than a 8.8 scale quake. how about the 20% unemployment rate. fundraiser for that anyone?

1 person likes this.
  6. slocal

slocal Doot!

Remember, there is such a thing as wind currents. There have been massive eruptions before and it has yet to have engulf the entire continental US. There are many books about this "theme of the month" in terms of a geological standpoint. Scary books are money makers ;)

[​IMG]

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

No, I know that! I don't buy into all this marketing stuff, like 2012 and all that junk. It wasn't saying that all the way to Florida would be drowned in lava, but that ash could make its way there.

8. Click Here!

9. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

if we have an 8.8 quake here unemployment would be far greater than 20%!

its good to have several, 5-6.0 EQs it relieves stress, so the likelyhood of the big one is not so severe.
    the San Andreas fault line is 3 miles from my house youd better believe im prep'd

10. slocal

slocal Doot!

Indeed. We have Diablo Nuclear Power Plant just around the peninsula from me (4 miles straight over the mountains). It sits right on the Diablo fault. So between earthquakes and nuclear meltdowns, I'm ready to go too. Even have my two tanks secured to the walls.

11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

I just passed the beach to go to the lfs and it was closed because of the tsunami

12. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

California can pretty much be its own country, it's so different from the rest of the U.S. it's about time it went out into the Pacific :lol: Dear California residents, please do not try to build a permenant bridge to the U.S. when you do drift away from us. That would be bad.