First Corals. Pulsing Xenia not looking too hot.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by brew0688, Jul 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brew0688

brew0688 Fire Shrimp

:-/ No sir. I don't run any carbon. Do you mean something I added to the tank with the corals contaminated it?

2. Click Here!

3. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

Well maybe something could have contaminated the water, something that we don't test for. It's always possible.

I ask about the carbon because it would help remove whatever contaminants there may be. I didn't mean to imply that carbon would contaminate your water, because it wouldn't.

Either way sorry for your loss. Don't feel too bad about the xenia because they are a dime a dozen. If I ever figure out how to ship coral frags I'll send you some on the cheap!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  4. brew0688

brew0688 Fire Shrimp

So I emailed the guy I got the corals from. He just called me.

He said that he runs his waters SG right around 1.024.

When I picked up the coral, he had just done a water top off, and said the SG was likely more like 1.023 in the tank. So to go from 1.023, right to my tank at 1.028, was too much of a shock, and is likely the reason the hammer and xenia died.

I'm making a trip back this week to pick up a couple new frags. We'll see how they do. I'll keep this thread updated until I have figured something out.

5. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

Makes sense to me. Good luck with the second time around.

6. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I just recently got some red mushrooms from a friend who keeps a sea horse tank, and he keeps the salinity very low and the temp much cooler than mine. Knowing this I took extra precaution in acclimating them. I floating them for about 45 minutes and them took a small baby dropper(mini turkey baster) and drip acclimated them for another 45 minutes. Just dropping a few drops of my water every 5 minutes. They took about 2 weeks to finally get happy. But my point is, anytime you buy something, ask what temp and salinity they keep their tanks. And also pay attention to their lights as well....good luck