First Corals. Pulsing Xenia not looking too hot.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by brew0688, Jul 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brew0688

brew0688 Fire Shrimp

Thanks for the input guys.

I did work on the SG throughout the day, and now have it at 1.026.

Any thoughts on how the hammer coral looks though? He continues closed up too, but when I put him in initially, he was completely open.

Anything else I should be testing?

2. Click Here!

3. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

How old are your bulbs and how is the flow on your hammer? doesnt look like he is high enough in the tank.

4. brew0688

brew0688 Fire Shrimp

Bulbs are right around 2 months old. Flow around the hammer is decent, but on the low side. From what I've read, they like to be able to extend their feeding tenticles (?) into the current, but retract away from it if it's too much.
    The water is moving in a constant, gentle motion around him, with no set current, just random.

I was thinking he was too low as well. The tank I got him from, he was around 10 inches under MH lighting. Now he's almost twice that depth, and under t5's. I'm hesitant to move him and stress him out again. If he doesn't look better by tomorrow morning, I'll move him higher in the tank.

5. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

I have mine alomst at the bottom of my tank 21" and its slow growing but my hammer is full every day and random flow is good I would wait till tom also to see if he changes if not move him up about half way.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would just let it acclimate for a week or so. If you do move it, plan a spot and leave it be for awhile. Also choose a spot were the hermit will not knock it off.

7. libog2fish

libog2fish Fire Shrimp

I use to have almost a quarter of my tank full of Xenia's...
    I really don't know either why these corals melt and dissaper with ease...
    screw it,i'm never purchasing Xenia's agian!

8. Click Here!

9. brew0688

brew0688 Fire Shrimp

So I got home from work this morning, and the xenia is completely, without a doubt, dead. Melted to the point of no recognition. :-/

Zoa's continue open and looking fantastic. Hammer coral still has wonderful color, but just isn't open at all.

10. James.F

James.F Flamingo Tongue

Bummer man, that sucks :(

11. brew0688

brew0688 Fire Shrimp

And now the hammer is completely dead too. Over night he has lost 90% of his tissue, and barely has any color left to him.

Where did I go wrong? My chemistry values are all fine... my lighting is great, my flow is great.

12. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

I'm thinking maybe some sort of contaminant got in your system. Do you run any carbon?