First coral death

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by PharmrJohn, Jul 31, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

What is your dKH, Ca, Mg and PO4?

2. Click Here!

3. abfds001

abfds001 Plankton

Took a sample of my water to LFS and there results where all the same as mine with the exception of my alkalinity. It was @ 8.4 so i'm working that now. I went ahead and introduced a new piece and its was doing great the first 3 days but now it's not opening up as much. I did a 10% water change to sort of boost up for the minor alk issue. Now here is the wierd part. The rock where my xenia's died off is sprouting new baby pulsing xenia's. So what the heck is causing new ones to shrink up is really blowing my mind. If you look at my pics you can see them. one bunch is about 1/4" tall with about six stems and the other has about 8 1/4" and about 4 more smaller ones.

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Xenia is soooooo tweaky. Big time. I have not been able to keep any alive. And my params are not all that bad. I have had two coral deaths and both have been Xenias (one pulsing, one not).

The fact that you have baby Xenia where the parent died doen't surprise me a bit. I think you will have much better success with that which has sprouted under the conditions of your tank. Rock on man.

5. texas92

texas92 Bristle Worm

Leather Umbrella Coral

Think my umbrella is having a hard time close normally hosts it but in the past two days its been very purpleish and its polyps have not come out at all in the light it almost looks iced over not sure whats the deal just did a 20 percent water change on monday all my water testes fine?????