First coral death

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by PharmrJohn, Jul 31, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

My experience is limited here but based on the LFSs I have in my area I will grade the prices based on where I go now (good deals).

Monti: ??? Don't know.....I don't even know what a monti is.
    Trumpet coral: I play the trumpet. But I do not know what the coral looks like
    Shrooms: Good price. If it is a small store, I would offer $35 cash grab and go. Tax included. Mushrooms are soooooo common. I paid $20 for a a palm sized rock with 8 or so shrooms on it (twice)
    GSP: Excellent. I paid $40 for a pretty good sized rock that was really active.
    Hammer: Excellent. I haven't bought any, but I have paid attention to the price.
    Frogspawn: Excellent. Before I knew any better, I paid $30 at the expensive LFS for a one head. $15 for one head is a deal in and of itself IMO
    Birdsnest: ??? Don't know.

Extra information:

Xenia (Pulsating and regular): $10 per start
    Kenya trees: $5, $10 and $15 for small, med and large starts

Now Xenia and Kenya Trees grow like weeds. If you can find anyone that will give you frags when they trim back their tank, that is the way I would go. I have been fortunate in that regard.

Hope this helped. John.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Thanks for your input john as always first class.

4. scenario1313

Oh and this is a guy who is moving and just getting rid of corals for the long move.

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Oooooooooo, this changes things. Get a list together of things you want. Then go to him with an offer. Dropped down about 10 to 20 percent that includes tax. So a $40 bill plus tax becomes $30 to $35 cash and carry. I do that with antique stores all the time. Make them include the tax with the purchase..

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Oh....Trumpet Coral is Candy Cane coral. That is an excellent price.

7. scenario1313

How many corals can you add at one time with out a disaster? I am going to look at them this weekend. I hope they look good and healthy.

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Dude, I don't know. I was wondering the same thing and hoping you would look into it. PM Tangster. That's what I would do. Then let me know what you decided.......with pics of course!!!!!;D

10. abfds001

abfds001 Plankton

I to lost my xenia and now even my kenya are acting strange. will not stand up oe open up. everything else in my tank is doing well. all water para are optimal. cant figure out why they are doing what they are. kenya are like weeds im told but in my tank they are like toilet paper and dissolve/

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

What are your params? How big is your tank, what kind of lighting do you have. I want to know it all. Hardware and software.

12. abfds001

abfds001 Plankton

I have a 40 gallon tank with 30lbs of LR. Water params where all perfect. 0's in Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia and PH was perfect. As for lighting, i have 2x blue Actinics and 2x 12k daylights in an HO hood.
    I have pics i will post