First coral death

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by PharmrJohn, Jul 31, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

LOL!!!! Oops!!!

2. Click Here!

3. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

Can you take the xenia out of the tank? Mine looked exactly like that for a day or two. I took it out of my tank and gave it an RO dip with some lugol's and put it back in the tank. It took it a few days but it perked back up. Also, what are the MG, dKH and Calcium levels in the tank. If my dKH get below 9 mine shrinks all up and if it's at 12, it literally dances. I have to buffer once a week to keep it at 12, but my corals love me for it.

Mine survived my tank cycle and actually split in two during the cycle. I almost lost it and now I'm about to be a grandma again (it's about to split into 4 and has about 12 little babies).

Try some Lugol's and if that doesn't work, take some scissors to it and cut off the stalk, new polyps will probably grow back in its place.

Karma buddy for being so concerned. Sometimes it happens, as my daughter says, "Mommy, nothing lives forever!"

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

My Alk is 9.8. I don't have Ca or Mg test kits yet. In a week I will. Should I wait till then or buffer the system now? If so, what do I buffer with?

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I will search out some Lugol's sol'n this weekend. I probably better get an iodine test if I am going to keep Xenia. Wow. Test, test, test. That's OK, I like tests.

6. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

What do you have? How often do you do water changes?

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

What do I need? I am clueless when it comes to this. Zero experience and knowledge. I have a liquid calcium suppliment I have not dosed out in a while.

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I have been doing a 20 gallon water change on a 75g tank every two weeks. I use reef crystals and RO/DI water.

10. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

I use Reef Crystals too. :)

Without dosing my Calcium is usually between 480 and 500. My Magnesium usually runs around 1320. I now have it up to 1460 (didn't try to get it that high, must have used more Tech-M than I thought).

With those numbers (480-500 Ca and 1320 Magnesium) you should be fine to just dose something to raise the Alkalinity. For every 1 point you raise the dKH you'll lose 20 points of Calcium. Even if you raise the dKH 2 points (11.8 ), you should still have Calcium of around 440-460 ppm. I try to keep mine between 450 and 500.

Since you don't have Calcium and Magnesium test kits, I wouldn't dose those this week. Just raise the dKH to around 11-12 and you should be fine. As soon as those kits come in, test and adjust.

BTW: What do you use for buffering? I'm using Kent SuperBuffer dKH right now. When it runs out, I will probably buy bulk from BulkReefSupply.com.

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

12. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I have no idea how to buffer. I have never done it before. Kent Supebuffer dKH is a good one?