First coral death

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by PharmrJohn, Jul 31, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Xenia will shrivel up, can be very small especially if you have a curious cleaner shrimp or other invert walking all over them, could take upto 10 mins to fully open up again, even longer under dim lighting, in my experience, hope all is well...

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Ya know....someone told me that this stuff will literally melt when dead. It has been very, very small since I posted this, what, six or seven days or so ago. It happened in conjunction with the addition of flow in my tank (1700GPH). It is still there. Just very small. I have moved it a little lower in the tank away from as much flow as possible. We will see what happens.

4. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

I just increased the flow on mine and they got about a half inch bigger each stalk it was not that much more flow either

5. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

How is the Xenia did it make it.

1 person likes this.
  6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

It is still very, very small. I just moved the rock it was on to the top of the tank in medium flow. I did this last night. I am going to see if increased light makes a difference. I will tweek the flow around it in the next few days to see if I can kick start it that way as well. There is still hope. Thanks for asking dude. John.

This image shows my very successful green star polyps to the left and the not so hot xenia on the right. If you look closely in center pic, you can see my longnosed hawkfish snuck in there for the shot (part of his little body behind the rocks)

[​IMG]

This is a close up of the xenia.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  7. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Looks very small. Hope it makes it my friend. And the green star polyps look great.

8. Click Here!

9. SmittyCoco

SmittyCoco Fire Shrimp

What is that there ? Do you have a ghost in your tank ? Lol! ;)Sorry just trying to make light of a rough situation. What poster is that on your wall?
    You know I wouldn't worry about those xenia's . The'll come back I can feel it. Goodluck ! Keep us posted !

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

The background is a greek underwater thing. I thought it was a good idea at the time, but now I just want black or dark blue. It is looking more and more cheeseball as the days pass.

11. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Sometimes xenia just die, some will live in tanks while some wont. Ive had it grow in tanks with minimal attention and water changes and die in pristine tanks where everything tests perfect. I wont dont keep it anymore cause when it does get going and takes over. lol

12. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Watch it buster! I have that same cheesy background too.