first clam picture

Discussion in 'Clams' started by leighton1245, May 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

In the wild they attach to rocks from the free floating plankton stage. As they grow they slowly breakdown the surrounding rock, creating a depression. If you google "images of Crocea in the wild" or "Tridacna in the wild" you can probably find images of this.

Both Maxima and Crocea do this, but it is not necessary to provide this in the home aquarium. I do however feel that Crocea do better higher in the rock work in a stable spot where they can not fall, after they have been acclimated to the lighting.

I have an image of my Crocea and it's placement in the rock work, where after 2 years it did make a slight depression.

2. Click Here!

3. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

Sweet thanks for the info ill google that now. Right now mine is setting on a rock on the bottom of my 21" tall tank with T5 HO lights with ATI bulbs should be okay right?

Thats neat this one is really far in there.

[​IMG]

4. Corailline

It looks like from the image of your clam that it is attached by byssal threads to a piece of something, hard to say for sure though?

IMO best thing you can do is just let the clam acclimate where it is and think about placement higher in the tank in the up coming weeks. Crocea love intense lighting, after being acclimated.

5. leighton1245

Yes i could see the byssal threads when I was putting him in the tank and I remember reading that its best to place them on a rock for easy movement so I acutally put him on the rock he is setting on. But I will leave him alone for the rest of the month where he is at then move him in june. :) Thanks for all the him and info

1 person likes this.
  6. Corailline

NP,

I love clams, they are like little jewels in the ocean to me ( yes corny) but I get carried away. ::)

7. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

unlike derasas that prefer the sand bed..croceas like a rock to grab hold of with their foot..

but i would suggest u get a small rock that is transportable..makes it alot easier if something happens and u neeed to move him or take him or something and he not be on one the big boulder rocks

8. Click Here!

9. leighton1245

^ That is excatly why I set him on that rock ill take better pictures when I get home tonight and upload tomorrow. Its a little over 5"

10. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

Looks great...glad it arrived safe and sound!

11. leighton1245

Thanks again very impressed with the high level of service :)

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

i have always kept them on the sand with great success.

But gorgeous clam none the less :) is it from TFP?