First batch of DIY live rock

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Urban_s, Jul 29, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scott Osborne

Scott Osborne Feather Duster

I dont really worry about the circulation too much. I think you ought to up the water changes to two or three times a week. If the pieces are small enough toss em' in the toliet tank. The water is constatly changing in there.

In that 300 gallon rubbermaid their was only a small Ehiem 1048 moving maybe 80gph just to keep the salt crust from building.

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

they're wide and flat just not too thick so I don't think they would fit in the toilet tank, but I will change the water more. The first week there was a good skim spinning around(slowly) on top but so far this week none... I will though change the water now. should I be using ro/di for the soakings since I don't want any phosphates or metals in my rock?

4. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

you can make caves for your goby by putting a parcially blown up baggy in the cement.remember to leave a large enough hole to get the baggy back out later.

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

ahhh good idea! maybe then he'll leave the sand alone lol I did them kind of as a base, that he can't knock over:)

6. Scott Osborne

Scott Osborne Feather Duster

I use tap water. The risk of introducing metals is very low. The crust is the intial salt. What you want to leach is the Alkalines. Try pH testing the water every couple days before you change it. You need to get that down to 9 or lower.