First batch of DIY live rock

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Urban_s, Jul 29, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

I cure generally for about 2 months. From what I here acid curing is just a waste. I use my waste ro water to cure.

2. Click Here!

3. trying it again

trying it again Fire Shrimp

Well I quess I,m setting myself up but,, What do you homemade live rock makers think about this idea?

Take a large sponge and shape it, Dip it in a loose portland mix,,, Ring it out and roll in oyster shells or crushed coral.

Havn,t done it yet just thinking about it.

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Wouldnt the sponge rot and muck up the water? Try using latex gloves or balloons and make shapes over them and then pop the balloon/glove so no worries about rotting materials.

5. Kentanner11

Kentanner11 Coral Banded Shrimp

Interesting just bought cement today, 10 for 94 lbs. still beats LR prices, My LGS (local gas station) has a bag I dont know how big but pretty big of rock salt for 4 $ Heres my Q what ratios have you used that have worked well. Also what curing did you use. And what way would be the fastest!

6. trying it again

trying it again Fire Shrimp

7. a1amap

a1amap Astrea Snail

You can use "great stuff". It will allow you to shape the rock anywhay you want
    AL

8. Click Here!

9. Kentanner11

Kentanner11 Coral Banded Shrimp

uhhh. IMO wouldnt use the sponge, It might harbor bacteria, and hold in chems.

10. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Alternative chemical curing - ctiric acid

Hello chaps...

The problem with acetic acid in the vinegar is that it's smelly and in general rather harmful agent. One could try something milder and more user/fish friendly - citric acid ... It can be bought in more specialized grocery stores. The good things about it:
    - not smelly
    - easily dissolved in water
    - can form chemical buffer that maintains constant pH and buffering capacity
    - BIOLOGICALLY SAFE -> it can be easily biochemically transformed into bacterial nutrients. It is widely applied as a natural biochemical preservative in preparation of human blood mixtures, cell cultures etc...

Moreover, vinegar offered in grocery stores is at most 10% water solution of acetic acid. If You take into account this fact, definitely more effective chemical curing of calcium/magnesium (as concrete) rich compounds can be achieved with 3 times less concentrated solution of citric acid.

Price is around 1.65$ -3$ per lb. One would need approx. 0.8lbs of citric acid to prepare mild (100mM or 10% ) solution in 50 gallons of RO/DI water.

This could be a cost-effective alternative for DIY Live Rock fans that are not in favour of vinegar as a curing agent.

Enjoy the beauty of science ! :tongue4:

Camil

One more thing: Highly concentrated solutions of acids can cause skin/eye iritation! Wear goggles and gloves when You prepare them!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

As for drilling them ? Just use nails when its wet to make holes for pinning them together or for pores so water can get into the rocks to allow more area for anaerobic bacteria to get a hold. For a larger recess or a cave I used to ball up aluminum foil and or for a arch take a balloon to form the mold then when its et pull the foil or pop the balloon.

12. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i use portland cement with aragonite sand and salt pellets.i cure a couple rocks at a time in the back of the toilet.every flush gives it a water change.alot of experiments have been done to cure it but nothing speeds up the process faster than fresh water and frequent changes.vinegar balances the water out but its temperary and may even slow down the curing process,and saltwater takes longer.if you use salt pellets,read the label 1st,some have lots of minerals in them.mine come out white and strong after 2 couple months.i make them to imitate tonga shelf rock.i've found that after being in my tank with figi rock a couple months they have more life than tonga shelf witch is very expensive and lifeless.no one has ever noticed that half my rock is fake.