Firefish parasite?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by DrewSk, Apr 1, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

So I was just feeding my fish and noticed these white curly things that seemed to be attatched to my firefish right behind his fin. After doing some research I determined that they were eggsacs of an internal parasite that resides in fire fish. Here is the link to the site, scroll down until you see pictures of a purple fire fish.

Marine Fish Diseases and Parasites

And here is mine:

[​IMG]

Has anybody had these on their fish before? Is there any way to get rid of it? will it kill my fish? and will it spread to any others? I know the site said that it usually doesnt, but I am worried about it.

2. Click Here!

3. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

I had the same thing about a month ago. Fish ending up dying on me. Seemed to be pulling through then one morning I woke up to a pile of hermits over his body. Caught me off guard as he ate every feeding mixed food pellets/mysis/spirulina brine. Read as much as I could but couldn't find a person that had this with a fish that survived. Sorry to be a downer but in my experience the fish didn't make it. Didn't spread to any of my other fish. Best of luck

4. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

hmm. Ill talk to the fish store and see if they will work with me. Im hoping mine will pull through, im soaking the food in selcor and everything, so hopefully it will be able to survive! and thanks for responding, the more I can learn about other peoples experiences with this the better!

5. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

yeah, when I was looking it up there wasnt a whole lot of information on treatment. I did contemplate trying to catch and waterdip to see if the parasite would release but as you probably know already its pretty embeded in the body, and figured stressing a weakend fish probably wasnt the best course of action. I dont remember what the cycle time was but after about a week I saw less eggs on the body and thought I was in the clear but sure enough a few days later they were back. I have since added another firefish after letting the tank sit for about a month..and knock on wood he seems to be doing great.

6. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

thanks for the advice man. I am really hoping he pulls through, but I am gonna talk with the fish store anyways. hopefully they will work with me. I havent been able to find to much about this parasite either, the only thing I can think of to maybe try is pulling the egg sacs, and hoping that it kills the parasite. but I dont think i would ever be able to catch the firefish in my tank!

7. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

its not the eggsacks thats the pressing issue. the parasite is embeded in the fish and feeding off the fish. even if you were to remove the sacks the parasite would produce more. my concern would be inflicting damage to the fish trying to remove the parasite, hence the freshwater dip or qt tank and possible medication, but then again I dont know what would kill the parasite and not the fish. nor do I know if a freshwater dip would even work.

8. Click Here!

9. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

From what I have been reading on the net dips dont work. Im guessing because the parasite is internal, and the water doesn't ever actually tough it. Im wondering if interceptor might work, but I dont think I can use that in my tank.