Fire Scallop

Discussion in 'Clams' started by mikejrice, Jun 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MajesticCoral

MajesticCoral Fire Worm

I have heard that they like dirty water and lots and lots of micro filter feeding food and get themselves in difficult locations in the tank,sadly I didn't realize this when I purchased two of them but whats done is done and I will just enjoy them for the time that I can

I'm not sure why they don't have a successful rate in captivity,maybe this is something that needs to be looked into more,perhaps even trying to mimic if possible their life and habits in the wild

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Try to target feed them with a fine slurry of mixed seafoods, like that you would get from quality frozen food like Rod's Foods.

Every once in awhile I stir up the detritus a little, they like that to.

They can appear healthy for months and months and then all the sudden die.
    It's a balance between feeding inverts like this and maintaining water quality. They do much better long term with feedings.

Good luck

Oh forgot the link.

Browse Species in Fan/Feather-Duster Worms

4. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I watched one in our LFS for months. Poor little thing just hung out in a corner. So feeling like my tank was better, I brought it home.
    Next morning, couldn't see it no where. Found it attached to the back wall behind the LR. Brought it back out front, where it practically drilled itself into a large hole in the rock. Stayed there til it died 4 weeks later. They are beautiful! They are a Mullosk. They are IMO not for the home aquarium. Their feeding requirements are just to stringent. Food size is everything. You cannot feed them Rods food. It is just to large. These Mullosks eat Zooplankton of micron size.

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I love when throwbacks pop up. It reminds me of how much there is to learn in this hobby and how far I still have to go.

I currently keep several flame scallops in my system which I would credit to my auto-phyto dosing system. They do like to hide though.

6. arrivalanche

arrivalanche Bristle Worm

I used to target feed mine until it found its way to the corner where the filter inlet is and it loves it there. I think that it catches food in the water as its being pulled past it.

I do have a few questions about it though. Every few days I see these loose brown clumps hanging out of its mouth like poop or something. Is that what it is?

Also, it seems to have its tongue hang out as its catching food. Is that good or bad?

7. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Yes.

What part are you calling its tongue?
    View attachment 46520

Here it's using its foot to climb the glass.
    View attachment 46521

I had one a long time ago before I knew better, didn't live long, about 6 months. Not too long ago I either read or saw on a show an expert that said these only have about a 3 year lifespan, so the larger size you buy, the closer it already is to dying (and most people buy the biggest they can find).

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  8. Click Here!

9. arrivalanche

arrivalanche Bristle Worm

thanks. i was referring to the red part not the foot.

10. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Yes, it's filtering food through that.