Fire in the hole!

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by coral reefer, Mar 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Hi all,
    Well, it has been an interesting and very hectic and disapointing day for me today regarding my 125 gallon aquarium!!!!!
    First off I had ordered bulbs over a week and a half ago and still didn't receive them nor have I heard anything from them regarding my bulbs. Many of my corals have declined, especially my long tentacle anemone in my 75gallon tank, and I know it is from my bulbs reduced LUX. My bulbs are about a year old, hence the reason for my reordering them.
    Wait, it gets better...
    I finally felt that everything was getting back on track after my being gone for almost three weeks recently due to my father's prostate cancer surgery. Today, I was checking out my new bulbs I purchased yesterday, since I got tired of waiting for the ones I ordered online to arrive. All was fine so I decided to take a nap. Low and behold, about an hour later when I woke up, I went back into the fish room to check on everything and one of my metal halide pendants fell from the ceiling and into the tank!!! The light stopped working and basically is shot so I had to spend $370.00 for a new K-2 Viper250 watt Pendant that I had to have overnighted to me. The other thing is that I am sure that electricity entered the water for some time, though I don't know how long since when i removed the light, I did not get electricuted(being stupid I rushed into the water without shutting the light off).
    Every piece of coral was closed up along with my Tridacna Clams! All the fish and invertebrates are fine thus far. My water is cloudy and smells like the fishy smell that is normally not present. My Acropora corals and Xenia did not make it. My zo's and other soft corals are opening up a little. Clams have opened up again.
    Did two water changes, cleaned the skimmer and added carbon, so now it is a waiting game!
    What a crappy day in the fish bowl!
    I will keep ya informed, as hopefully the toll will be kept at a minimum.:cry:

11 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Wow, that sucks. I feel for ya. Let me know if I can help.

4. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Boy that sucks a big one. I hope all recovers for you.

5. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

man sorry bout that.. I have a light hood that is on legs. I need to get a back up to hold it up incase it falls.

6. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Sorry to hear that :( Keep us in the loop

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Wow, that stinks.
    I would think you are in the clear as far as electricity goes. Those inverts specially would have been fried. I think a lot of what happened was that the tank probably got real hot just due to the bulbs shear heat, it would have easily raised the temp very quickly. Did you happen to look at the temp after it happened.

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Your having a run of misfortune it seems - Karma to you in the hope it breaks this situation

10. Willieo101587

Willieo101587 Flamingo Tongue

Ouch, hope everything's ok. On the bright side: at least you didn't get electrocuted.

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

boy that SUCKS..I am so sorry! Hopefully everything will recover

12. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Wow that does suck. You are having a run of bad luck. Hopefully things will start turning around for you. I would say it is a good sign the fish are ok as I would think they would be the first effected if there was an extreme electric shock.

Good luck, chin up and I am sure you will do your magic.