Finished DIY Fixtures

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Jodah, Feb 22, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jodah

Jodah Feather Duster

The two i posted are all acrylic casings, similar to this one:
    http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/jameshong_2006/114.jpg

Now granted, I believe they were all cut professionally. I dunno, i have some designs and ideas drawn up in sketchup. Guess I just wanted to see if I was doing something new, or if they all end up black boxes. :)

@insanespain : browsing your thread as i type this actually. My mind always goes on constant tangents. 2nd edit: Nice looking fixture, I'll post pics of my sketchup ideas shortly.

random musing: So wish i still worked at the sign shop with access to the 4x8 cnc router. <facepalm>

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

4. Jodah

Jodah Feather Duster

That's most definitely the kind of diy fixtures I was hoping to see! very nice!

5. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Thanks. ;D

6. Jodah

Jodah Feather Duster

well, here are some pictures of what I've come up with in sketchup for my fixture. The turquoise box represents a Typhon LED Controller.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

that would be very cool. But wouldnt you want the typhoon on the front or side maybe? the top wouldnt be the easiest to access.

8. Click Here!

9. Jodah

Jodah Feather Duster

and the LED layout

[​IMG]

I had thought of placing the Typhon on the front, and I probably will. I like things to look simple and sleek. I'm also 6' 2" tall. so a fixture sitting at 60" isn't all that hard for me to see the top of. Dunno, I'm sure I'll change it around at least 50 times before getting the chance to actually build it. :)

10. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

IS the lighter blue a UV diode or a blue diode? Im assuming the darker blue is Royal Blue.

11. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

I saw one a few weeks back that was skinned out of 5mm furniture grade plywood that was stained to match the stand it looked really cool. Maybe a wooden light box with frosted glass/plexi on the top and wiring out the back. I just wander about heat exchange when enclosing a heat sink in any thing non-conductive though. not the pic I was looking for but neat, made from laser cut wood

Attached Files:

12. Jodah

Jodah Feather Duster

that is very cool! nice find tattoolew!

the ligther blue's would be regular blue. Dark blue is royal blue. The pinks are UV, whites are CW and I'm sure I'll toss a few WW in there for good measure. Not really sure if I should even bother with the green and red. Seems like it wouldn't do me much good with only one of each.