finished aquaclear50 refuge

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by mushroom_man, Jan 31, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    ;D!!! i finished the mini refuge that i had previously posted about... (pictures later this week!!!) its on my 12 gallon eclipse tank. and so far im waiting for results. anyway im posting to update and to hear any thoughts...
    thoughts anyone?

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Well, we need pics and parameters!!! Then we can post thoughts! I can't wait to see! Did you take pics of the making? You can post them under the DIY section!! ;D

4. mushroom_man

also would i need any other type of filtration in addition?

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Well, what is the whole setup? You can add it to your sig ... is it the JBL nano tank?

6. redboy

redboy Astrea Snail

Ya dude I just finished mine as well!!! I have the A.C. 50 too. Yesterday I upgraded my lighting to a 7 watt flourescent. Its tricky not to get the light shining in the display tank. The light is positioned to shine on the back of the filter. What's your photoperiod for the fuge?

7. mushroom_man

bird; no its a 12 gallon eclipse

eagle; i learnd that if you leave the light on for like 2 hours after the main tank lights go off it makes a cool dusk effect. also i leave them on for like 16-18 hours a day... it works for me.

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Duh, you said that in the first post , sorry!

So that has the biowheel? and what else, a filter pad? Or did you remove those things? It's just, you asked if you needed additional filtration and I am not familiar with what comes in that system.... :-/

10. redboy

redboy Astrea Snail

The longer the better! Started out doing a reverse photoperiod, but now I'm just going to do a 24 hr photoperiod since I've read that's the best method. For dusk it does look kind of cool. Also, curious to how long the bulb will last on 24/7!!! Yup, rockin' the fuge...

11. mushroom_man

bird; ya i took the filter pad and crappy filter out of that tank now its only the ac50 and my rio 600 running the current and filtration.

eagle; karma to you for doing the same thing as me!!!

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

If you have enough LR, I guess the only thing you MAY (not necessarily need) want is a clarifying filter once or twice per month as needed. Some use a cannister, or diatom filter (expensive I know) Maybe you could just use the filter pad in the system. You could get micron filter pads cheap at the LFS....just to remove detrius...and run a bit of carbon now and again. :D