finicky false percs

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by dixiedog, Feb 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dixiedog

dixiedog Coral Banded Shrimp

I recently aquired two clowns who, to my suprise, won't eat flake food, bloodworms or live brine. My limited experience with clowns was that they were voracious eaters and not picky at all - what gives?

They ARE hungry. (At this point, "starving" might be a better word!) They rush at the food - until they see it up close, then they turn away. Sometimes they'll even taste it, but they always spit it out.

They're medium-large O. clowns, so I wonder if they could have been wild caught, instead of tank bred as I was told they were?

What tasty treat should I try next??

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. janderson2k

janderson2k Flamingo Tongue

Mysis shrimp? How long have u had them? If only a few days no worries. They are probably still getting use to ur system.

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I would be worried about wild caught, as not eating is a big problem with those. Try to do everything you can to ensure you get captive bred specimens. Ask your LFS, they should know.

1 person likes this.
  5. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

try soaking a little of everything in garlic and see what they go after. If they're new most likely they're still acclimating.

6. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

Like what was posted Above ask your LFS what they was feeding them to get them to eat...

Good luck...

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Most false percs these days are not wild caught....strange. Mine will eat anything. Yeah....they are probably just stressed. They are poor shippers and do not like change.

8. Click Here!

9. Brian

Brian Astrea Snail

Im friends with a clownfish hatchery owner, and they use cyclop-eeze and live foods because flake is low in nutrition. I would reccommend trying cyclop-eeze.

10. DarthClownfish

DarthClownfish Flamingo Tongue

I agree. This is a great food that tempts many finicky eaters

11. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

If all else fails every fish eats live brine shrimp. Most LFS have a bag of them. If they don't eat that then you bought a sick fish.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  12. jessman

jessman Astrea Snail

New Life Spectrum

Its great stuff my clowns love it and its really good for them.Great for all fish actually. iv heard nothing but good things.