Finger Leather Growing question

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by cuttingras, Oct 1, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

why were the lights out for 18 hours????:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. New2Salt

New2Salt Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I went on an overnight fishing/camping trip and the light timer I used didn't work.

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

ahhhhhh.....I was just curious I'm sorry your leather is leaning.....otherwise do it's polyps open up? Does it look ok otherwise? Maybe it just likes to lean..... I am wondering though about how much it's base/stem is extended in your pics.... Are all finger leather stems supposed to extend that much? Mine compacts at night and the branches extend when the lights are on and the polyps open(like little flowers)??.

5. New2Salt

PLEASE HELP GUYS!!!

The finger coral has a web-like material on it! It looks almost like a spider web, only without the intricate design. I am attaching pics. All of the polyps are open on him, but he has the stuff on him!!! HELP!!!

Attached Files:

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Looks fine for a coral that's been lacking light for 18 hours. As for the leaning, the coral might just be seeking purchase on the live rock that's next to it. If you lean the coral onto that piece of rock, it will eventually attach itself to it.

7. New2Salt

Alright, the finger is starting to stand back up! ALL of his polyps are fully opened, and he is really shedding a lot!

I will post better pics soon. So I guess it is normal for a finger coral to slump like that when he is shedding.

8. Click Here!

9. New2Salt

Geez, this Finger Coral is bi-polar or something!!!

I added a Xenia the other day (who is pulsating like crazy and seems very happy btw). And while adding it, I had to move the Finger Coral like 1/2" to the right. Then 24 hours later, the coral is COMPLETELY laid over, this time laying forward (instead of the right, like before).

Since his polyps are all open completely, is it safe to say he is not dying?? And are fingers REALLY THIS SENSITIVE?

10. New2Salt

Here is the pic of the "downed finger." Notice his polyps are all open, yet for some reason he is sleeping on the floor of the tank. He has a lot of neat coral growing on his live rock base.

I also posted pics of the new xenia, who Im hoping will attach to the rocks that surround him, and also a pic of "the crew," including the new engineer goby.

Enjoy!

And if you have a guess as to why the finger is lying down THIS TIME, Im all ears.

Attached Files:

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[​IMG]

Soft corals don't like to be touched :) They will go also limp if moved.

It looks like the coral is becoming detached from its base. Rubberband it back down until it attaches itself again. Don't put the rubberband on tight enough that it might slowly cut through the coral.

12. New2Salt

????? Im so confused. I had to move the thing 1/2" to put in another coral. This is kind of ridiculous at this point. It's the only coral I have had even a slight problem with.

Seriously, if this thing is going to do this anytime it gets touched, I am getting rid of it. In a 14 gallon tank, and I am going to HAVE TO move it here and there to clean the tank and remove debris. I dont have much of a choice. It just boggles my mind that the elegance, after being moved to the other side of the tank, isn't even SLIGHTLY bothered. And they are supposed to be finnicky corals.

I can tell you for sure that it is not detaching from its base. It just won't stand back up, even though its polyps are fully extended.

I guess I will just give it away to the LFS.

Can I frag this thing???