Finger Leather Growing question

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by cuttingras, Oct 1, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

it's cool, why not ask questions for the same coral, since we're already here!!!!:)

2. Click Here!

3. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

Just a thought. When first starting out I thought I needed to "bottle" feed everything. Now I feed very little to anything. Corals are growing with great color, fish are looking good, no algae issues (knock on wood) and the water seems much easier to maintain and keep chemically stable.

Id dose the planktons sparingly as the critters seem to do better with less.

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

food for thought...........hmmmmmm:thinking2

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

It is still being debated whether or not soft corals consume phytoplankton. I have never fed mine and they did just fine without it :)

6. New2Salt

New2Salt Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Cool thank you

7. New2Salt

Ahhhh, the LFS LOVES to sell me stuff I dont need!!! They have done it at least 2-3 times. The only reason I go back is because I have a store credit!

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Unfortunately, it doesn't only happen to you. :(

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Don't think any feeding is necessary.

Growth starts at tips of "fingers" --- kind of a whitesh bump on mine.

But interesting observation I have made with mine, is that the ones I have in my Nano are growing much faster, and expanding more, with much less light then in my main tank. (24w in 12 gallon nano) --- the nano, not having a protein skimmer also consistently does not have the best of water quality (high nitrates despite frequent water changes)...:-/

11. New2Salt

Still having serious leaning issues. The finger appears to be leaning more and, well, I dont think he looks too good. Check out the pics and tell me what the problem is?? Thanks

By the way, 2 days ago, I adjusted the nozzle so the water is being pumped upward, rather than downwad towards the finger coral. So the water is not blowing right on him.

Im just hoping he is ok :worried:

PS - Pic 1 is 4 days ago when I first noticed the leaning. Pics 2&3 were both taken today.

Attached Files:

12. New2Salt

P.S.S. - -This pic was taken after the lights were out for 18 hours, so othe polyps were almost all closed up.

How does he look? He is definately leaning a lot more and his color looks more purplish.