finger leather coral dying?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by marvollo, Aug 15, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. marvollo

marvollo Astrea Snail

my leather coral has not opened up for a week now. i have had it for almost a year and it has never done this. it started showing bleaching on a few small tips and a few days later it has shrunk, turned darker in color, and looks to be decaying. any idea what i can do?

1.025 sg
    0 nitrate
    0 nitrite
    0 phos on cheap test
    1280 magnesium
    420 calc
    8.4 ph

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Give it some time. Do you do any water changes, cause it might just need some extra elements, strontium, iodine or something. It's got enough light, right?

4. marvollo

marvollo Astrea Snail

260w pc in a 72g bow front. it used to be thriving. i do a 10% water change every week. i only dose purple up and microvert. i dont run activated carbon or anything

5. marvollo

marvollo Astrea Snail

it looks much worse now. all my levels have been consistent and all other corals are doing well.

Attached Files:

6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Could be getting ready to molt.....

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

How long have you had it?
    Has it always been on the bottom?

8. Click Here!

9. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

if you had it for a year and just this last week closed up, then thee has to be some variable that you did differently this week, try back track see if you changed any of your routine. thats the only thing i can think of cause it seems to be a pretty fast declince in health, your other corals looked good and you dont have alot so chemical warefare is out.

try running some fresh quality carbon.

10. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

when was the last time you changed your bulbs?

11. marvollo

marvollo Astrea Snail

the only thing that has changed in a week is i re-aqauscapped my tank from a brick wall to 3 seperate mountains. Maybe that cut down some of its water flow. i did buy 6 green chromis at the beginning of the week. the week before that i added a bali star and a tiny birds nest frag.

the coral has always been at the bottom where it is now. the bulbs are 7-8 months old. i have seen it molt and that usually doesnt take more then 24-48 hours. This coral has not opened up in over a week.

i am going to try carbon tomorrow. i hope its not too late.

12. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

If your PC bulbs are 8 months old it may be time to change them, especially if that leather is on the bottom. The lights have to penetrate a lot to get to that coral and if they aren't at full strength it isn't getting enough light.

Can you raise it up in the tank?