Finally, my first WC w/o lifting a single bucket!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Todd_Sails, May 4, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

My wc goes like this. 2" pool hose from the FOWLR sump to the drain. Then a 3,000 gph pump is used to transfer water from the reef sump to refill the FOWLR sump, then to pump fresh saltwater from the mixing container to fill the reef sump. This way I can reuse the relatively clean reef water for a wc on the FOWLR tanks. Starting a siphon with the 2" hose is how I found out how important it is to drain all of the old water from the hose. :-[ I thought I was going to die.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Fortunately, being a horn player, I can clear the water from most hoses and equipment by blowing it out...Renee is really good at doing that "jiggle, jiggle" thing to start a siphon, but I'm terrible at that and use the "old fashioned way". Then again, Renee does say I'm "old shcool"...

Of course, our 210 has a full-up Genesis system on it...no siphons to start there.

4. MichaelKelley

MichaelKelley Banned

Your idea is really good and you should not think that it was not your idea, it is your creativity that you thought this solution from others idea and I think it is working perfectly for you that should make you proud.

1 person likes this.
  5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Thanks for the kind words, and

Welcome to 3Reef!

6. Runninglite

Runninglite Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Good idea

I have been using 15 ft 1/2 hose and siphoning into sink drain,lol .I wanted to get small pump
    to do my sump.Wanted to ask a question,i do 20 gallons WC every week,I usually remove 5 gallons and then add 5 gallons of new water wait a bit and repeat. I did not want to stress out tank by removing 20 gallons all at once.Is this a good way of doing it or should i just shut off pumps and remove and add all at once.? Thanks

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I would do the change all at once.

8. Click Here!

9. Sacohen

Sacohen Bristle Worm

Now you just need to automate the whole thing with a controller.

10. imsalty

imsalty Plankton

Water change.... no buckets....that's on my bucket list!!

11. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

We are planning a water change system for the planned shark tank at work.
    An additional pipe next to the sump overflow return, will sit about 8 inches lower in the water, when the tap is opened 100 gallons should flow down the pipe under the floor and into the drain, once completed and closed, another pipe from the saltwater mixing /holding tank will pump the clean salt water directly into the tank. I think the wc will take about 15 minutes for the 100 gallons. I intend to conduct this change once or twice a week depending on water quality (the tank will eventually be home to 2 black tip reef sharks and a nice eel, amongst other fish (lion, scorpion, clown trigger and a Picasso) the tank is 1850 gallons display, 400 gallons sump.

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

What % is 20g on your system, sorry for not knowing.
    But I do agree with OFK- that changing more at once does much more for the reason to do a water change in the first place.

+1

Scuba Ken- WE GOTTA SEE THIS TANK!! BUILD THREAD? PICS/
    thanks.

Todd