Finally, my first WC w/o lifting a single bucket!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Todd_Sails, May 4, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Congratulations Todd! I'm really envious! Wc's are still a **tch for me! :(

2. Click Here!

3. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

That reminds me of watching my wife doing a water change. She had the hose in the tank & she was leaning over by the jug sucking on the hose & didn't watch the water coming down the hose. That water comes down so quick & hit her mouth. Then the gagging & spitting starts while I'm laughing & rolling. And she gets even more upset saying she swallowed it. Oh the mistakes we make when first starting out. Yea I got a lil suction ball now to start the siphon.

4. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

I make it seem like I've never done a wc before, or don't know how to siphon water. Been doing wc for 5 years now.
    I to don't have to lift any buckets. I don't have the luxury of a basement drain (lucky Todd). I mix in a 44g on my patio and pump it into the tank, drain wc water into another trash can and drag it outside. Since my house is upstairs I use a garden hose that I run downstairs and siphon the wc water under the stairs in a spot nothing grows anyway.
    What happened was I didn't clear the hose completely after one wc and when I went to start the siphon to drain the wc water I got a nice amount of 1 week old wc water that was sitting in a hose.
    All this because I always have a better way of doing things. At least I think I do.

5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I've done that many times... U would think I would have learned by now. I have considered opening a window and running the hose out to the back yard... But I don't want to "kill" my soil.

One day, I will have the drain that I want nearby.... One day... :)

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I am purposefully dumping my old water in my backyard where we have bamboo growing uncontrollably :-/

Otherwise, I will soon be tying in a couple tanks into a 40 gallon sump in my basement, where I also mix my new SW. I will soon be in the bucketless, siphonless, water change club :)

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Bamboo problem, many a year ago, I would have came by, cut them down for you so I could make my special double and triple chamber Bongs out of the bamboo!
    It was an art, I was a craftsman- of building multiple chambered Bamboo bongs!

That was MANY a year ago!!

What a tanget!

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

A man of many DIY talents lol

10. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Yeah, when my wife and I purchased our house, she surprised me and had a spigot and drain installed in our garage right next to my sump. It makes it very easy. I still have to shop vac my sump to get the nasty stuff but I only do that about once every other month or so. Most of the time I just pump out of the sump and then back in from my barrel. Super simple. It is amazing.

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Thanks everyone for also sharing your techniques at this task!

I just got around to using that basement drain for this last WC! It's been there since I moved in. At first I had my sump in my stand, on the main floor.
    Then it's on it's own stand in the basement, about 6 ft from that drain.

I've been thinking about it for a long time, glad ai finally did it!

Lot's of ways to skin a cat!

I hope this thread gives others ideas to improve on whatever system they have.

Keep posting how you do it please

12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I'm jelly! :-/