Finally got to target feed my candy cane!

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Hoopastank, Sep 10, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Well I know who I'm not sending the frags to ;)

2. Click Here!

3. Hoopastank

Hoopastank Spaghetti Worm

Thanks guys! I most likely am going to feed them twice a week see how they do. What I think has really helped is changing the lighting to 10k the corals love it! They are a lot happier and pudgier and bigger...lol but, they do love the food too! I love this hobby!!! Lol

Corailline likes this.
  4. justonwo

justonwo Fire Shrimp

If the science behind Red Sea's algae control methodology is to be believed, if you want to tune your corals for growth, you give them a higher alkalinity and higher nitrate environment. This allows the zooxanthellae algae to thrive and provide the coral with a robust energy source.

However, if you want to enhance the coral's UV defenses (enhanced pigmentation), then you want to drive the concentration of zooxanthellae down by reducing nitrate and phosphate levels. You also drive down the energy demand by reducing alkalinity and Ca/Mg levels. In this scenario, where corals are responsible for generating more of their own energy, Red Sea believe it is necessary to feed the corals.

I am by no means an expert, but they make an interesting case. And I will continue to spot feed my scoly back to good health!

5. bigdaddy20102

bigdaddy20102 Plankton

I feed my few heads of Duncan's once a day lol just 1 sinking pellet per head and they seem to stay happy wish they would hurry up and start splitting but I'm impatient I guess but can't speed up reproduction lol