FINALLY getting somewhere.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Covey, Sep 26, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Thanks for the help Walter,
    I am going to be order a 75GPD membrane and a filter array here in a few weeks. My city water report say the Chloramine are at an average of 2.5ppm will the two stages of carbon before the membrane be sufficient or do I need to set up anything else to handle the chloramine and ammonia?

2. Click Here!

3. the_h2o_guru

the_h2o_guru 3reef Sponsor

I have to say I am sorry about not answering this sooner . I wondered why we had not gotten notification of any posts for so long . I guess we are not getting them at all. The bypass valve the chrome part when properly adjusted will make the unit run with out cycling . Set the pressure switch where you want it and then use the chrome valve to prevent cycling.

Walter

4. the_h2o_guru

Again very sorry about missing these. I know it's way to late now . The answer is that so far thousands of units all over N. America and no Chloramines problems to date .
    If you did encounter a Chloramines problem the simple fix for any system is a G.A.C. filter using catalytic carbon . GAC filter life is short and we are hope never to have to change . The GAC filter should not be used as the last pre-filter . It must have a filter of at least 5 micron in front of it . Carbon fines will quickly foul the membrane.

Walter

5. the_h2o_guru

sMALL MEMBRANES

Hi ,
    Yes the (12) gpd membrane is still available . We consider anything uder (50 ) gpd as very very old fashioned and nearly worthless. In reef keeping the membrane is key to DI life .
    A good membrane should remove at least 94-95 % of the tap water tds. A very good membrane removes 96-97 % . These readings should be made after a couple of
    weeks of useage.
    Say your tap water is 300 the ro water should be between (9-18) ppm no more. Remeber make sure the unit is has been running (making water) for at least two minute prior to testing the membrane . This one test tells you all you need to know .This test is why we built the ro only valve in the first place . You know nothing about your system if you do not know how well the membrane is working. Blowing thru DI resin is expensive. If you look carefully we and all of the other makers of Reef Keepers that actually care about you use a FilmTec membrane from Dow Chemical Company . (If it is a really good membrane and has a private label it is most likly a FilmTec.)

Now one other membrane fact . You do not want a (100 gpd membrane if you use a DI post filter . In other words no (100) gpd membranes with reefkeepers. The (100) gpd has very poor rejection when comparde to the 75 or smaller FilmTec membranes.
    Your membrane makes or brakes your cost of ownership .

ThankS.
    The H2O Guru Walter:confused: 8) :-X

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  6. the_h2o_guru

Smilie wher the 8 should be

I the original version the 9-18 ppm had a smilie in place of the 8